Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning up a .22wmr chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted
Gents I have a Mauser 201 in .22WMR that has has some sort of damage to the chamber just before the throat.

I'm not sure what exactly caused it but in a bore scope it looks like some arse used lapping compound to polish the front half of the chamber, almost as if they had fired .22LR in it and were trying to clean the chamber afterwards.

The bore is otherwise perfect and I was wondering if the chamber could be cleaned up with a chambering reamer without having to set the barrel back too far?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first; it might shoot ok. Often we see damage but the bullet doesn't care.
OTOH, if the chamber is already polished too big or out of round enough to affect extraction, then nothing short of setting it back the full chamber length will work.

Posts: 17184 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Shoot it first; it might shoot ok. Often we see damage but the bullet doesn't care.
OTOH, if the chamber is already polished too big or out of round enough to affect extraction, then nothing short of setting it back the full chamber length will work.

Thanks DPCD, I was afraid you were going to say that. Frowner

The trouble with that approach is that the barrel has a weird profile with very little parallel shank, I'm worried there won't be enough to remove the whole chamber.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Shoot it, and see the results.

The 22 WMR is not known for its accuracy, and if you get 1.5 inches at 100 yards he Very Happy

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67537 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Shoot it, and see the results.

The 22 WMR is not known for its accuracy, and if you get 1.5 inches at 100 yards he Very Happy

A confession then, I have shot it and the accuracy is disappointing... Frowner

It throws most of the non-premium brands around 2-4", the federal premium JHP and the Remington accutip shoot best at around 1.5"-2".

The cases come out covered in soot:

It's a beautiful rifle that feels more like a centrefire than a rimfire, it eats me up inside knowing that someone had buggered up the chamber... Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They don't seem to be bulged. Very strange. Looks to be a beautiful rifle. For the resident smiths,would relining be the route to save this?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or...here is another thought, is it possible if you were to ream out just the chamber and reline just the chamber. Kind of wild but none of you really want to tour inside my head. I think of this stuff for entertainment.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The original SAAMI standard drawings should be reviewed for both the chamber and the cartridge.

It has been mentioned by someone else that the .22 WMR chamber was designed by the rabbits that were going to be shot at with it.

The chamber is a bit large in dimeter and is way too long.

I have "reloaded" .22 WMR ammo by pulling the factory 40 grain FMJ bullets loaded by winchester and substituting the 40 gr and 45 gr Sierra Semi Point Hornet bullets.
My rifle is a crummy 640 K Mossberg. It shot groups about identical to what Ghubert described at 100 yards with a large variety of factory ammo.

WW 40 grain FMJ and HP seemed to be the best in my rifle. Federal 50 grain lead bullets were the worst by a mile.

The Sierra bullets were used with the original WW powder charge. The bullets were seated longer than factory ammo and the groups were cut in half. However the ammo was too long to fit the magazine.

PS RWS ammo is supposed to be the best .22 WMR by far but it is very expensive and very rare in the US. Maybe Ghubert can find some of it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yards is about all they will shoot on a good day. Just live with that and shoot it. And not worth losing that nice Mauser crest.

Posts: 17184 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
They don't seem to be bulged. Very strange. Looks to be a beautiful rifle. For the resident smiths,would relining be the route to save this?

No bulges but the case mouths mike at 0.243 which is what the mouth of the chamber ought to be.

Taking into account spring back on the brass, this means the chamber is too large, doesn't it?

Thank you for the kind words, the rifle is beautiful and much better finished than the average Anschutz or sako.

That was when I first got it

And this is the stock, almost refinished

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
Or...here is another thought, is it possible if you were to ream out just the chamber and reline just the chamber. Kind of wild but none of you really want to tour inside my head. I think of this stuff for entertainment.

Dunno man but that is the sort of thing I was hoping they would say... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by curveball:
The original SAAMI standard drawings should be reviewed for both the chamber and the cartridge.

It has been mentioned by someone else that the .22 WMR chamber was designed by the rabbits that were going to be shot at with it.

The chamber is a bit large in dimeter and is way too long.

I have "reloaded" .22 WMR ammo by pulling the factory 40 grain FMJ bullets loaded by winchester and substituting the 40 gr and 45 gr Sierra Semi Point Hornet bullets.
My rifle is a crummy 640 K Mossberg. It shot groups about identical to what Ghubert described at 100 yards with a large variety of factory ammo.

WW 40 grain FMJ and HP seemed to be the best in my rifle. Federal 50 grain lead bullets were the worst by a mile.

The Sierra bullets were used with the original WW powder charge. The bullets were seated longer than factory ammo and the groups were cut in half. However the ammo was too long to fit the magazine.

PS RWS ammo is supposed to be the best .22 WMR by far but it is very expensive and very rare in the US. Maybe Ghubert can find some of it.

Thanks CB, good stuff.

I have tried maybe 10 brands of ammo and the best are mentioned above.

Interestingly enough I had 3 split cases from five rounds fired with Winchester stuff!

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yards is about all they will shoot on a good day. Just live with that and shoot it. And not worth losing that nice Mauser crest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update,

Mauser in Germany no longer have any parts, drawings or any real desire to get involved with any rifle made before 1999... Big Grin

Anyone needing spare parts for a classic Mauser should contact these guys:

http://www.jehn.de/en/index.php

Who bought up the stock of spares when the company was sold off in 2000.

They speak English and are very helpful to deal with, they are seeing if they can find me a barrel.