Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-fit pad for a Rem 700
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Buddy has an old Rem 700, it has 4 screws for the recoil plate. Will the Pachy pre-fix screw right on or will I have to drill new holes, etc..

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have found that any pad calling itself "pre-fit" isn't.
The hole spacing you want to compare is the top and bottom ones. Check Pachmyer and then measure your stock holes.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the plate with the 4 screws was matched to a curve on the stock. You will have to grind the stock square.

Pre fit pads are generally as dpcd says. B L E C H Y ! But they are usually $100 to $200 cheaper than having some grumpy fawker grind one to fit.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And you'll be attaching a flat pad in place of a curved butt plate. The result may be less than pleasing.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
yea, it was described to me, didn't know it was curved.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that you can put a recoil pad in very hot water to heat it and then bend it to fit a curved butt.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2647 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I have heard that you can put a recoil pad in very hot water to heat it and then bend it to fit a curved butt.

People did that years ago with the plastic based pads. Most of the time it looked like hell. Just a series of flats against a curved surface or the big V, Now days, most pads have a metal plate in them and that trick doesn't work anymore.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I learn a new word every day from you, Speer; BLECHY. Not sure what it means but I like it. Those Canadians!
As for the pad, you will have to bite the bullet and have it installed the correct way. The quick way will look BLECHY. I mean, like sh*t.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I learn a new word every day from you, Speer; BLECHY. Not sure what it means but I like it. Those Canadians!
As for the pad, you will have to bite the bullet and have it installed the correct way. The quick way will look BLECHY. I mean, like sh*t.

"BLECHY" is right up there with "ACH-THOOEY". Blechy is usually prefered because there is a whole hell of a lot less spit flying around than there is when you use ach-thooey ! Ach-thooey is normally used with other words to describe dissatisfaction or dislike.

The following video should better explain the Canadian fascination with ACH-THOOEY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yio3Pin43eA

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Great; just power watched three episodes of Corner Grocery. Good show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have put a couple pads on curved butts and, as mentioned, they didn't look right. Only did it because I didn't want to alter those particular stocks so I could re-installt the original plates if I wanted.
I guess pre-fit pads are OK if one doesn't want to mess with grinding. Just don't expect a perfect fit. I have some rifles I can use spacers in so they will fit both myself (6'1") and my wife (5'4"). The pad can fit well with the spacer or without the spacer but it can't fit well both ways. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done a couple of the remington Pre Fit pads on two rem 870 shotguns.Blechy is a good term as to how they look. Angles don't match up and in one case the width of the pad wasn't wide enough.
I'v tourqed down the screws and even though the end of the butt is flat they just don't look right when done. But are way better than the old pads I took off. Bend them just a little and they just crack old pads not the new ones. Frank

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I did this one last week. Sure wish I'd seen this thread first; I wouldn't have bothered trying since it can't be done.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote