THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Wildcat Junkie', et al. Where to find...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where do I find a Mauser action with a large bolt face...Persian?, etc.
I want to build a custom rifle with a ctg that
has a rim diameter of 0.519" so want to start with
a Mauser action that has a larger bolt face to begin with...
Thanks, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard bolt face on military Mausers is .473" + .004" rim clearance. Standard belted magnum cartridges need a bolt face of .532" + .006" clearance. Your .519" falls in between. What cartridge are you planning on chambering that has the .519" rim diameter? Also, is it rimmed, rimless, or belted?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I know my 350 Rigby has a .519" case head.

The right way to go about the job is starting with a X57 based mauser, and having the bolt and extractor fit to the case head. Compared to the overall cost of getting a rifle built up from an action, the machine work is in the range of $50.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Any "standard" large ring bolt will be for .473" head cartridges. There should be no problem opening up the bolt face for a cartridge head of .519". I believe these are routinely opened up for H&H sized (.532") cartidge heads. A "persian" would be an excellent choice as they are reputed to be some of the highest quality "surplus" actions and most are in very good to excellent condition.

PS: If you do go the "Persian" route, I would be very much interested in the "take off" barrel. The bores are usually in mint condition and they are over 29" long.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi: Thanks for replies..I'm using a .30 Newton
case necked to 7mm...but the rim is .519..
The ctg is called the Ackley .276 Newton...
should be superior to current 7mm Magnums &
the round is said to be a versatile case, in-
sensitive to load changes.
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ps, forgot one question...the .30 Newton is beltless, and not rimmed...looks like a .30-06 on
steroids...the "Arnie Swartzenegger" of .30 caliber cartridges..Tom

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Newton used the 350 Rigby case. The 350 Rigby looks like a 375 H&H, but with no belt, and a 45 degree shoulder, also a tad shorter at 2.76" for the case length.

I'm not sure what the case capacity of the round your planning is, somewhere between a 7 rem mag and 7 STW?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H. The .30 Newton was developed on advice from an old German gunsmith named Fred Adolf who
lived in upstate New York...(he built a double rifle for Theodore Roosevelt who used it in Africa)
and was on display at the Reno SCI convention on display loaned from a Museum...anyway...he suggested using a 11.2 Schuler case at first. I believe that was the parent. Its said he told Newton, if you necked this down you'd really have something! Thus began Chas Newton & his company from his association with Fred Adolf...who is not well known today...but if you ever saw his custom rifles...you'd realize he was a master gunsmith & craftsman of the first order. The .30 Newton case is 89.2 gr. water, I get better velocity with 180 gr. bullets than my .300 Weatherby...the case necked to 7mm should be a real humdinger. Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
ps on the question of between the case capacity of the 7mm Rem Mag & 7mm STW..don't know but don't think you'll lose much from the .30 Newton with the necking down to 7mm...but that's only part of the story as the case is fat, not much slope to the body, fairly sharp shouldered...as the new "fat"
bodied cases have shown...they add some degree of
superiority...Tom

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The case is the same diameter as the basic H&H magnum case, the only difference is no belt, and the rim is the same dia as the case head.

I've played with a variety of wildcats, and rounds that don't use common brass, and the allure has generally left me. If brass is hard to come by, it is a pain. It is possible to turn off the belt, turn down the rim, and deepend the extractor groove cut in an H&H case, I've done it many times for my 350 Rigby. It isn't remotely fun.

one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
For those of us who are curious, but clueless. What is a source for 30 Newton cases? I thought I'd read somewhere that there wasn't a case that was suitable for forming them and that they were long since obsolete. So how do you get a 30 beltless Newton case? I might consider one if I thought I could generate a propper case.

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone told me the other day that 30 Newtons could be made from 10.75x68 brass..I don't know.

I do know that Newton did a good deal of wildcatting on the 10.75x68 and 8x68S cases.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote