New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger stock re-finishing advice needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi again. I've successfully stripped a mid-60's Ruger stock. The wood is farily light colored, and I would like to darken it up a bit. Can anyone recommend a system? I'm reluctant to employ one brand of stain with another brand of oil product, as the two might not be compatible. I've successfully finished and refinished stocks using Laurel Mountain Permalyn, an oil-modified polyurethane. I've used it as an in-the-wood finish, wet sanding the oil and rubbing the sanding detritus into the pores.

My objective is a classic, low-luster oil finish.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I actually use a dye vs stain. A stain will have larger particles and not enter the wood as far. I get mine from http://woodworking.rockler.com/search?w=wood%20dye

I've used both the Transtint and Homestead Dry. Use alcohol to thin a little dye goes a long way. Apply thin coat and repeat until you get the color you want. You can also blend in sap or light colored wood.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ramrod. There's a Rockler store nearby. I'll have a look.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote