New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Strength
 Login/Join

<30 cal>
posted
Can the ruger #1 action handle pressures like modern bolt action rifles? I am wanting to rebarrel a #1 and am wondering if I'll be able to work up loads producing the same pressures as hot (but still safe) loads in modern bolt guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen the Ruger #1 is at least as strong as any of the bolt actions. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3582 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes and then some.... They are chambered in any and all of the high intensity rounds. Bill Ruger uses a factor of safety in design that I suspect exceeds anyones elses. Extremely bullet proof (no pun intended)design.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I agree. The No.1 is every bit as strong as the strongest bolt rifle. Keep your loads sane and you won't have any trouble loading the No.1

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Shoowallagager>
posted
I saw a 308 winchester fired out of a 25-06 Ruger #1. The guy owned a #1 in each caliber. Anyways, the only real damage was a trashed forend when the case blew. The bullet went down range. No gas was deflected back at the shooter, luckily his hand wasn't on the forend. I was impressed with the guns strength and the shooters stupidity/luck.

<Deadmarsh>
posted
The Ruger #1 is stronger than the vast majority of modern bolts...

Dead