Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope or Stock?
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a Browning .270 WSM two years ago. The first year I sighted it in with factory ammo. Seemed to be very accurate. As I adjusted the scope the bullets did what they should have. Second year I went to the range with the same ammo and it was right on. However, this year when I went to sight it in with the same ammo, it was shooting 18� � 20� to the left. After hunting season I was cleaning the gun and notice that the stock was quite close to the barrel. I tried sliding a dollar bill between the stock and barrel and couldn�t do it. The stock may actually be touching the barrel, not sure. Browning�s are supposed to have free-floating barrels. My Browning 300 WIN MAG easily fits a dollar between the stock and barrel.

Does this sound like a bumped scope or a stock problem? If a stock problem what do you recommend I do?

Thanks
Adams

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Your stock has warped as it dried out in the last couple of years. I had a Savage that started warping when I moved to Idaho from South Carolina and I wound up removing 1/4" of wood from the left side of the barrel channel. I eventually replaced the stock with fiberglass.

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a gunsmith re inlett it, the stock has warped, common with factory wood that is seldomed cured by the time of manufacture...Not and expensive procedure or you may be able to do that yourself if your handy....It has probably cured by now and will give you no more trouble unless it has a structural weakness in that are, in which case it needs to be glass bedded or replaced.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote