New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with bluing
 Login/Join

posted
Hello folks,
I have a Ruger Redhawk ,and the seam where the barrel and frame contact i keep getting corrosion buildup.The gun really hasn't been out in the weather and i keep it dry and use a silicone rag to wipe it down. I'll wipe this corrosion off with a toothbrush and in a week or two it's right back. I know a liitle bit about the process of hot bluing and it seems like ruger didn't get the salts neutrilized completely and they keep bleeding out at this seam . Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything i can do like soak in something? If it is bluing salts will penetrating oil maybe take care of the problem ? Thanks for any help.

Posts: 4 | Location: Barrackville, WV | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I neutralize my caustic salt bluing with a rolling boil in water and then immersion in a mixture of 50/50 ATF fluid and diesel. Give it a try.......

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They probably did not rinse it sufficiently. What you are describing is called bloom. The water suggestion is correct. The stuff coming out is a causitc salt, like lye and sodium nitrate. These are water soluable. Take it apart and boil it.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote