Find
Notify
Tools

Need FFL in LA area
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I'm thinking of getting one of the M1999 actions but all the FFL's I know of in the Los Angeles area want to ream me when it comes to ordering. On top of the DROS fee, etc, they want to jack the price up considerably. Like $100. I feel that's a bit much. Anybody know of someone reasonable?

I'm torn between the M1999 and just getting a CZ550 Safari. I want a .416.

Thanks.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Go to Auction Arms or Gun Broker, they have a list of ffl holder's in you area that can do the transfer. Call around and find the best price.
Mine charges 20.00 for transfer's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matthew's Gun Shop in Downey.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill - do you know what they charge for the handling/transfer, besides the DROS? I've used Ade's Gun Shop in Orange, and he was pretty reasonable. I will probably have my action shipped to him, unless Matthews is as cheap or cheaper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile for me but I think it was about $50.00 total but I don't remember exactly. Most of the others I talked to were in the DROS + $75 range......their # is (562) 928-2129

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Also, thanks for the phone number. I was not having any luck finding the phone number this afternoon.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What in himmel is DROS? Let me guess: Dealer Record of Sale? I will have to pay this as well; my FFL wants 15%, I think. Or maybe it's $15; I can't remember. Couldn't you take a weekend in Vegas and have it shipped there? Unless I am wrong, can not you buy a gun in a different state under NCIS save for it costing a few more bucks for the check because it's an out-of-state transfer? It works that way here for WV purchasers buying their heat in VA. We also have MD and NC dealers selling their wares at VA gunshows (all NFA rules apply-- there is no "gunshow loophole" and there never was.... Billy).

[ 07-23-2003, 07:23: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AdesGunShop@aol.com is in the Tustin/City of Orange area, just off the 55 freeway. He charges $35 plus the DROS. I have his phone number at home, but not here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The DROS is a State of California fee you need to pay to register new (to you) firearms and it isn't legal for a resident of California to buy a gun in another state without having it shipped to a California dealer (and you pay the DROS)....no one in Arizona, Nevada, or Oregon will sell you a gun directly....and don't forget the 2-week wait as there isn't any instant checking in California.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The DROS (Dealer Record Of Sale) fee is what the state charges dealers to do the background check. The state charges the dealer the $25.00 and then the DROS officer calls it in to the FBI and has it done for free. The DROS people aren't even in PRK they are in Arizona. If I recall correctly they are part of MCI. When I was a dealer in PRK I charges $20 plus the DROS which was $15.00 then. The next step in bilking gun buyers was making us pay $1.00 each for those crappy little safety tags we had to put on every gun and then supplying gun safety locks with every gun. On top of all of the fees at the point of sale we had to have five different business licenses or permits, FFL, DROS, Centralized List, Resale ID, and City or County business license. When I was down there the wait was 10 days from the time the transaction was called in.

I am glad I am in Montana now. Simple NICS check and away you go, or if you have a CWP you can cash and carry without the NICS check. I also only have to have one license, an FFL. No state, county, local, or resale number required, and the ATF agents up here are real people that understand their jobs and the law.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With Quote