Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding weight to gun??
 Login/Join

posted
I have done a search and hear alot about drill hole putting epoxy and bird shot in the stock. I am assuming that this for wood stocks.

We just boughtnthe step son a Savage 300 WM and the gun is real light so it has alot of recoil to it. It is a sythentic stock..so how would you all add weight to this gun. before you say why did we buy him such a big gun. That is what he wanted and we shot a friend of mines, but his must have weighed a little more, because it not kick nearly as much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 21 | Location: Colorado! | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some of the low recoil Remington 300 Win Mag ammo.

Plenty good for practice and deer hunting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The same trick of lead shot and epoxy will work for your synthetic stock. The typical tupperware stock has a hollow forearm sometimes separated in smaller chambers. Place the weight close to the action. You want the additional weight to be close to the center of the rifle. Hanging it out on one end or the other is awkward. If the stock doesn't have bulkheads to hold the mixture towards the action, you can build one with clay or bondo.

The plastic stocks tend to not hold epoxy very well so you'll need to drill a few holes to allow the epoxy to lock in.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
The same trick of lead shot and epoxy will work for your synthetic stock. The typical tupperware stock has a hollow forearm sometimes separated in smaller chambers. Place the weight close to the action. You want the additional weight to be close to the center of the rifle. Hanging it out on one end or the other is awkward. If the stock doesn't have bulkheads to hold the mixture towards the action, you can build one with clay or bondo.

The plastic stocks tend to not hold epoxy very well so you'll need to drill a few holes to allow the epoxy to lock in.

This is well said and good advice! thumb

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
There are also mercury recoil reducers....My gunsmith epoxies a small piece of PVC pipe 'bout 6 in length and 1" ID or so [to fit the OD of the reducer] in the buttstock.You can then slip the reducer in and out to be able to do anywork needed.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy another plastic ( Synthetic ) stock . Turn it into one like comes on some of the high dollar import shotguns now !. I'm sure some of you have seen this relatively new cushion stocks . Dam absorbing foam is cut into the stocks resembles a chevron patter .

Or simply put a mercury decelerator and a REAL Butt pad on it . Should work well .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote