Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L57?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I found a Sako L57 action. Thinking about chambering in a 308 Winchester. I know very little about this action since it is the first one I've seen. I like it though. It feeds well, the trigger seems crisp and the safety works well, and the bottom metal looks good, and it's a slim action.

I just want to know what others who are familiar with this action think about it. I'm thinking about trading some of my hard-to-sell military Mauser actions for it, and have it finished out. At least I don't have to worry about a custom trigger and safety for it.

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Just about aznything with the "SAKO" name on it is high quality and worth your "dime". The L57, I think, is the earlier version of the L579 (someone correct me if I'm off-base) and perfectly suited for a .308 WIN.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Browning-that-was-a-Sako for a while in .243- a fine rifle, and as a gunsmith once told me, probably the best of the push-feeds.

I'd chamber it in something a bit more unique than a .308- but it ain't mine Wink

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
They're great looking for a custom, smooth as silk, here's a 308. One thing you should consider, that I didn't, is straightening the floorplate assembly, which has a slight perch belly.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That action is a piece of trash. I hate to see someone from a neighboring state spend good money on it. If you'll tell me where you live, I'll drive up there and get it from you and see that it is properly recycled. I offer this free service out of the goodness of my heart Wink.

Seriously, no finer "medium" length action is available. Some folks even like the positive firing pin safety better than the sliding trigger safety of the later actions. It's magazine also holds five .308's down the hole, plus the one in the chamber, making it a true "six shooter". Such capacity is something you rarely need, but when you need it, you REALLY need it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one 57 and one 579 just say smoooooth.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
I owned a Browning-that-was-a-Sako for a while in .243- a fine rifle, and as a gunsmith once told me, probably the best of the push-feeds.

I'd chamber it in something a bit more unique than a .308- but it ain't mine Wink

Urr - like what chamber? I noticed that it took five 257 Rob factory loads in the magazine, and fed them well.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fla3006:
They're great looking for a custom, smooth as silk, here's a 308. One thing you should consider, that I didn't, is straightening the floorplate assembly, which has a slight perch belly.

fla3006

If you elect to straighten that bottom metal, be aware that it is a casting. It can be fixed, but you are likely to break it if you just heat it red and bend in a vise. You can guess how I found that out. It can be cut and re welded. Watch so you maintain the guard screw length. Then shorten the rear of the box. You lose one down, but it cleans up the bottom line nicely.

I bought 6 of the 579/A11's in the early 80's. I think that is when Garcia stopped being the North American distributor. About that time they were changing over to the model A11 and there was a big closeout. I think the ones I got were made up of left over parts, some with old round cocking piece, some new A11 style, none with the old cocking piece safety of the 57's. There were 3 different trigger guard styles, the one in your photo is the earliest and in my view the nicest. The later ones had a button.

I wish I had bought more. I think with a new bolt handle, they make a very nice custom sporter, but you don't see many used for that. Maybe the guns they are on are just too nice to be donors.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
At first thought, I doubt that I'll try to straighten the bottom metal, or have a gunsmith do it. The stock that's with it is shaped to fit already, so I think I'll stay with the safe rule of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Looks to me like the bottom metal is made that way for extra capacity.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragment. I'm glad I found the action.

KB

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Sako, there is no substitute! Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have my dads 244 ai in a sako L57 forester varminter.my safety is badly worn,and the barrel throat is eroded,but it will still keep inside an inch.I would post pics,but my computer recently died,and I havent recovered the data yet.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote