Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO with 1/4 rib in 375hh
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Was there ever a factory Sako made this way. Bolt face had what looked like a blade ejector in it.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only one I recall is the SakoSafari:

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Woodjack...where did you get the photo from? wa sit off a sako website?

Do you know what these typically sell for?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This I had on file for some time, not from sako site.
If you can find an original one,they will be noticably more than your typical sako,market will dictate.
sako brought out an 80th aniversary/limited model last couple yrs .375 and/or .416, but they were insanely priced, were talking about US$20K!!!. Ive seen one, and it was nothing more than an original safari, which is probably worth about $2k +/-some, depending whose selling it.
In actual fact the original safari was better cause it had the floorplate release like a blackburn,but the new limited one had a plunger pin like a std sako.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
That pic looks exactly like a Sako Safari to me.

I have had two of them, one in .375 H&H, and one in .338 Win Mag. I sold the .375 primarily because I had (and still have) a Mauser Magnum in .375 H&H. I still have the Sako Safari in .338 Win.

When I bought it (early 1980's), they were being closed out for $1,000 U.S., so I sold the .375 for $1,200 U.S., used, and bought the new .338.

Oddly enough, the only thing the .338 will shoot worth a dang so far is factory W-W 200 gr. power points.

Those it will put in just over half an inch, BUT go to any heavier bullets and groups from my gun REALLY open up...and the heavier the bullets, the bigger the groups. I haven't checked the twist as the power points are plenty for elk anyway, but suspect it must be pretty slow, as the 250 gr.bullets form groups of about 3".

(BTW, none of my .338 handloads yet match the factory PowerPoints for accuracy in this specific rifle...)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alberta,

What is the action classified as PF or CRF...just curious

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
Only one I recall is the SakoSafari:

I'd love to have one like that scaled down to fit the AII action chambered in 338 Federal!
I'd skip the crossbolt though. I wonder how many Sakos would have been sold had Sako offered this type of trigger guard and a classic stock without the crossbolt?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hi, Mike. The Sako Safari is a cute little rifle but kind of light for me in 375 H&H. Today they go for $1800-$2000 depending on caliber and condition.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I sold my Sako Safari model for $1200 about 2 years ago. It was a 300Win Mag. They are beautifully made.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Alberta,

What is the action classified as PF or CRF...just curious

Mike - Will have to go down to he shop and pull it out of the vault and look....haven't shot it for maybe 7-10 years, so don't recall. I "think" it is a CRF, but I'm not at all certain, so will have to check.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Slater,
you mean like this;

I have been thinking the same, but in shortened 376steyr....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - Finally dug my Safari Grade .338 out of the back of the vault (it is going to the range tomorrow.) It is definitely a "push feed", NOT a CRF action. Too bad, eh?

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

I don't think I would be letting this one go for under $2K

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The Sako Battue had a 1/4 rib:

and was available in .375H&H. It was a push-feed.
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
There is one on Guns America for $2500, but it has been rechambered to 375 Weatherby.

I held one in hands and decided on something else.

Don't remember what I bought, but I know if it was a 375 or 9.3x62 Safari I would still own it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took my Safari .375 to Botswana in 1988, shot lion, eland, zebra, buffalo, etc. Held five in the box and one in the chamber. Had to shoot a buff four times and while waiting for him to get up again - which finally he did not - it was very reassuring to know I still had two cartridges left in the rifle. The .338 and .300 WinMag have fatter shoulders and only four will fit in the magazine. I also rebarreled a .375 to .300 H&H and it held five plus one. Don't have either rifle now.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is some pictures of Sako Safari 375HH.

Retail price in Finland is 11000€ so it's something like 16K-USD.
It's packed with Swaro optics which alone is worth 1500€ but the price is still a bit high i think.

[img=http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/988/img1773kw5.th.jpg]
[img=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/2130/img1774de4.th.jpg]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumppi-:

It's packed with Swaro optics which alone is worth 1500€ but the price is still a bit high i think.

Holy Hannukah!! I sold my .375 Sako Safari, with less than 30 shots through it, for $1,200 U.S. Used $1,000 of that to buy a brand spanking new .338 Sako Safari.

I'd guess that I could buy at least a half dozen of them here in the U.S. for less than the $16,000 U.S. dollars they're asking for that one in your country.

My, oh my...

posted Hide Post
I think that Sako Safari rifle you are talking about is never manufactured for Finnish or even European markets. I think is a custom order by some big U.S wholesaler.

Sako Safari rifle i described is 80th year anniversary gun only 80 made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be correct about their not being made for the Finnish market. Winchester used to do that all the time to us here in the U.S.....make models we would have liked, but sold them only in Europe.

I do believe however the Sako Safaris of which I am speaking were available through MANY dealers in the U.S. and Canada. I know I saw them advertised by several, and I wasn't even looking for them.

It is hard to tell from the relatively small and dark photo of the one we are talking about for sale in Finland, but it certainly looks an awfully lot like the one in my vault. Bigger, more clear, photos might show them to be quite different, of course. (For the difference in price, I certainly HOPE they are quite ifferent items....)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS-
Thanks for posting that Battue pic. It explains the one that's in my safe. It is a short-barrel 375 H&H that's extremely handy...

I understood they only made 1000 of them or so, and nobody that has seen my rifle had seen anything quite like it.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumppi-:

[img=http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/988/img1773kw5.th.jpg]
[img=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/2130/img1774de4.th.jpg]

Theres nothing special about that rifle.
Its the Sako 80thAnniversary model,I have handled one,its very similar to an originalSafari. The price is simply crazy and it is not by no means exclusive to the US market.