New
Find
Notify
Tools

? REBORING BARRELS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can one have his 308 reored to 338 and then recahambered? Compared to the cost of a barrel what could one expect to spend?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am ususally on the opposite side of the fence on this subject, as I like the idea of reboring.
I have found the prices to be around $4-450 for what you want to do. A new quality barrel, fitted, chambered, blued, reprofiled if you have a "nonstandard" barrel channel, and if you have open sights, seems to run quite a bit more, probably around $600. Again, these are just rough estimates, but that is what I have found in my research.
Remember also, if you get a new barrel, you may or may not be able to match the bluing on your receiver, meaning you might end up with a "two tone" firearm.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are certain limitations to reboring. The barrel has to have enough metal in it to allow for .100" wall thickness after the rebore (some require .125"), so your .308 barrel will have to be at least .538" at the muzzle. Moreover, there should be no deep screw holes for front or rear sights which would create a wall thickness problem.

I would suggest you consult Delta Gun Shop/Clearwater Reboring (www.deltagunshop.com). They have done several jobs for me and are in the process of another. They have a price list which is pretty self explanatory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. I will check Clearwater Reboring. Yea I would like the whole gun to match. The two tone had me thinking about reboring instead of rebarreling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also check with Dan Pedersen at Classic Barrel and Gunworks.
www.cutrifle.com

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be a lot happier if the original barrel is cut-rifled.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out JES reboring. $250 and IIRC, he does .338" now

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote