Find
Notify
Tools

springfield 1903
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

I recently saw a model 1903 springfield in 3006 for sale for like 295 bucks. that is the one with the odd looking knob coming off the back right? are these well thought of for customizing? if so, what has to be done to one, or what is generally done to one?

thanks.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up some of the posts by Michael Petrov on here and you will see some beautiful 03's

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in this forum?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a nice example:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/602102518/p/1

Custom Springfields are among my favorites, I have two.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently building 2 in modified G&H styles; if done right they make splendid sporters. I'm using a PME M70-style bolt sleeve on one and a benchmade left-side wing safety on the other, with the Barney Worthen-style bolt detent lock on both with side scope mounts and Lyman 48s. Kinda like a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, it may not be the latest high-tech but it still gets the job done quite handily and the braggin' rights are unsurpassed!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Sure would like to see some pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a few to whet your appetite, while I'm taking some more pics. Canjar SST with tang safety, PME/Wisner 3-position bolt sleeve, trap door items, sights & stock fittings, hinged floorplates, etc

More to come, later.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
loking for 03 springfield firing pin in 22 cal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
really need 03 springfield complete bolt in 22 cal

one of us
posted Hide Post
they make beautiful sporters. I personally love the cocking knob and find it one of the signature features of the springfield. I wouldn't lose it myself. I have a springfield in 308 Norma, will someday complete the 416 project, and have another action sitting there to be used for who knows what. hopefully my daughters get into it when they get older, give the old man an excuse to build some more stuff. Smiler

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red, I used the original striker knob-&-shaft with the new 3-position sleeve, IMO a 1903 just doesn't look 'right' without the knob. I'm not happy with my straddle latch lever shape and will fab a longer one soon, BTW the straddle is from an M70 set. The button-release floorplate is actually hinged & thus captive, the button merely releases the latch so the floorplate can move to the rear to clear the latch hook. The hinge hole in the floorplate tongue is elongated oval to permit the rearward movement.

You can see I'm not a competent photographer so please excuse the photos. Also, since I'm not a professional smith & so don't need to impress potential clients by displaying a professional image (translation: lazy, G), I don't clean up my metalwork before photoing.

For anyone interested, there are some REALLY nice photos of some REALLY nice 1903s over on the doublegunshop.com site, page down to the single-barrel icon. Major drool if you like classic 1903 sporters. Also plenty of classic Mausers, Krags, Mannlichers, etc owned and shot by the posters there.

The 1903 has some rather vocal detractors, and rightly so for the most part, but I could say the same about any, repeat any, other bolt action including the Mauser & all its variants. All of the 1903's shortcomings have been addressed long ago, some more successfully than others, and all perceived problems have been solved. It's not a benchrest action but it makes a splendid sporter!
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 is being built for my stepfather, he isn't used to a hinged floorplate so we stuck with a standard floorplate but modified the release. I was supposed to get pics of it for somebody else, I'll try to remember for tonight.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Here are two shots from a Springfield in progress. I got them from a post a while back and looking at the bolt handle I think it is Tom Burgess' work:

If someone can find the thread, I think there were more photos.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this one is built similar to a german guild rifle. it has double set triggers, butterknife bolt handle, two leaf rear right, custom front sight ramp, hensoldt dialytan 4x scope in claw mounts. i've never cared for the stock so i may restock it in the future.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
The Springfileds make about the best sporters a guy can get, no problems. Here is a .400 Whelen from my little shop.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Before sporterizing, you should check if it hasn't some collector's value. I have a nice one and wouldn't want to deface it.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highcountry2:
really need 03 springfield complete bolt in 22 cal

Go here, he has a bunch and is going out of business: http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_st...Accessories-ss3.html

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They do make nice sporters especially mine because it has TWO ejection ports - 1903 MARK I
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Job Earl!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Details, Earl, we want details! Like, who did which part, what are the stock & bbl specs, which reamer version of the cartridge, any chronograph results, any special bench-made features; you know, all the info that makes these things so interesting!
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Earl,

That is one sweet Springfield rifle.

I shoot a 400 Whelen as well. Isn't that a tad painful on the shoulder with a metal buttplate?

Good hunting!

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
Earl,

That is one sweet Springfield rifle.

I shoot a 400 Whelen as well. Isn't that a tad painful on the shoulder with a metal buttplate?

Good hunting!

Garrett

Hi Garrett, how's about some photos? Which version of the 400 are you shooting and how did you arrive there? Michael Petrov has shared some of his 400 Whelen findings with us over on the doublegunshop.com forum, and I'm very interested in this cartridge.

Here are more photos of 1903 work-in-progress, stock is roughed out but not final-shaped, I'm not happy with the comb nose and the front of the cheekpiece. About 20 years ago I began changing my comb nose fluting from a shape reminiscent of the bow wave of the Queen Mary over to something a little more restrained. I've still not settled on one particular shape for this one and will soon take some more off the front end and probably cut some delicate fluting.

This one has the G&H pancake cheekpiece and slightly full forearm but not their semi-vertical cut behind the cutoff. The trap buttplate is 90% inletted, I always wait to bore the cavity until after the plate is successfully installed.

Also, I have more shaping to do around the rear lower tang at the guard screw area as well as behind the (dummy for now) grip cap.

I'm putting this rifle together from parts I had lying around the shop, as a graduation gift for a friend's son. Caliber is 30-06, bbl is from a pre-64 M70, NM double-heat-treated receiver from a gun show, most of the furniture such as the trap, Lyman 48, Jaeger side mount, grip cap, Pre-64 SG snap swivels, etc, are things I've hoarded for 30 years.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kudos guys, I really appreciate it. That is some fine work there Joe, looks like you have some clean lines. I wouldn't worry about the flute, especialy on the drivers side.
My rifle is not very remarkable, just plain with nice wood and interesting caliber. It has a N.E.C.G. front sight and Lyman rear with a bench made barrel band sling swivel.
The project was jinxed from the start. Cracked receiver only found during final polishing, and the barrel was ordered as a “400 Whelen” from Pac-Nor. I had all the metal work done while waiting on the reamer to be finished (Proper .458 shoulder). When the reamer came in it wouldn’t fit. Pac-Nor sent me a .409 barrel instead of a .411 barrel. I had CH4D Make me up some dies and I ground the pilot down. They now list these as “408 Baumann”. I got the wood from Murat Ergin before he started Hunterbid. Had this blank and two others on the table of my old Bridgeport in a buddies shop on the second floor. He called up and said it’s now on the first floor (Bridgeport) and I asked why he moved it. Said he didn’t, it moved itself! Between that time and the finish of the rifle I had a heart attack so the final sanding was done with one hand while the other was “strapped in”.
I do plan to add a G&H side mount to it and already have the stock cut out for one. Other than backyard deer it has taken about forty or so ‘possums and coons from the wife’s garden. And yeah, that steel buttplate ain’t easy on the shoulder but it really keeps friends from wanting to shoot up all my reloads!
Now, my next Springfield.............

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my Springfields...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone thinking of building a .400 Whelen may use my chambering reamer for the price of postage. you break it, you buy it. Several rifles have been chambered with this reamer and doing fine.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone would consider posting my pictures for me, I'll send them to your email.

Mine is a Mauser, stocked in a decent piece of walnut, in the Ackley Improved version.

My favorite caliber.

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote