THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Why dont we see more fiber optic rifle sights?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Why dont we see more fiber optic rifle sights?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
I think that the Fiber optic sights at NECG are from ERA Gernamy. ERA make lots of sights and other stuff for rifles

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As for why they're not very popular, I figure between many newer guns not having open sights and those that do don't get the attention and money spent on installing them or replacing the beads as much as trigger tunning, bolt lapping, bedding and scope mounts.
I purchased a Browning Stainless Stalker 7 RM on which the original owner had Williams open sights and Leupold QR bases installed. The brass bead had been broken off so I began shopping for a new one and discovered the Firesights. I order the hood with the 'window' on top with the Firesight to help protect it. I truely believe it should have the rear sight replaced with a Firesight to compliment the front bead.
Because I mounted a 3-9x40 on it with QR rings, I haven't sighted in the open sights. So I'm still undecided about their value or functionality.
I have decided to install open sights on my Sako TRG-S someday. I figure since it's intended purpose is DG that I should have every advantage possible and these are probably the better choice for low light conditions. I'll have to look into these ERA and NECG brands for it before I decide which to choose.

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Kurt I grew up shooting irons, I was a senor in high school before I ever owned a scope, a 2.5X Weaver, I put it on my low comb M-70 .270 and it worked well once I found out they had to be sighted in! and that saved several nice bucks..

To this day I cannot imagine a hunting rifle without iron sights of one kind or another, shallow V or receiver sight is my choice, and I still use low comb rifles, they work fine for me with a scope..

Tritium is over rated I have one and its no better than an ivory bead..I have some red ones and I find them all about the same..I like then all as long as they are 3/32 beads. If its a receiver I want a NECG partridge post, gold faced, or Ivory front sight.

Mr. Bill,
If you don't sight in iron sights they are pretty much a disaster just like my first scope was for awhile

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Although only remotely applicable here, I have them on a Glock. They are not very bright. The do work great in the dark. I had an incident the other night that made me think about this issue. Should one be shooting at shadowy figures in the dark??? Seems pretty irresponsible to me. Same goes for hunting rifles. In most places it is illegal to hunt after dark.

I have night sights on all my duty guns. Well if the shadowy figures are shooting at you I have no trouble shooting back. Or all you can see in the out line of the bear coming after you. I have no trouble training people to shoot at hard to see targets if that target is clearly a threat.

Ray trituims really start paying off when it is getting to dark for a ivory or regular bead. They make a huge differants when trying to line sightss up on a pistol in low light.I have carried them for the past 15 years on my duty guns I would not be with out them.( sure in hell beats pointing an trying to shoot as I use to do before trituims) I am able to use them to place hits on targets you can barely see and can not see regular pistol sights

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote