Notify
Tools

Need help-New Project 250-3000
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
[QUOTE Nowadays the 2-position is considered the El Cheapo option.
Regards, Joe

I respectfully disagree.

Stephen R Heilmann and many other top smiths use the 2-pos safety on many current 98 projects. I prefer the 2-pos on my personal 98 rifles as well. There seems to be a retro trend in building custom Mausers. Most of the 3-pos safeties look out of place to me behind a 98 bolt. Then again, I like the big shroud. Especially when I'm pulling the trigger. BOOM[/QUOTE]

Well, different strokes for different folks. "There's no accounting for taste!" the Bishop said as he kissed the cow. But why go to all the trouble and expense of the bolt sleeve alteration when it's so much simpler and so much more reliable to use the left-side Jaeger or FN safeties? And you'll still have the big shroud and it's even more retro than the Jantz-type! I try to buy all the old FN wing safeties I can find, and even make my own Jaeger-style safeties for my 1903s. JMOFWIW.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Joe,
I've read here and a few other places that the M96's that Kimber and few others rebarreled to the .308 family of cartridges has some setback problems not seen with the ones they left at 6.5x55. Is that why you used 98 bolt's, is the weakness in the bolt?
Rob

Rob, IMO the weakness was in the Kimber process. I've seen cyber discussions and links concerning the Kimber conversions, and I myself have converted many dozens of bolt rifles in various configurations and so have a reasonably good idea of what's to be expected. I'm convinced that any setback in the Kimber products was due to excessive headspace rather than any weakness or softness. Inspection of some of the Kimber reject actions shows me that their workmen were very ham-fisted at best and terminally stupid at worst. Back when these Swedes were first imported in the 50s-60s there were many that were rechambered to 264 WM with no reported problems other than magazine length and an occasional bulged chamber, so why would a 308 cause setback? Answer, human error. JMOFWIW.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about using a commercial shroud and a side safety?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Lambert -

Commercial shroud with a side safety would work, but in my humble opinion, it would look much like all of the 'lower' grade sporters out there (think Interarms, Daly, Remington 798, etc.). You'd also likely have a slot on the side of the tang and in the stock inletting that would make it difficult and expensive to properly change to a shroud safety in the future.

If you're willing to go with the action you just bought, I would equate the side safety to putting hub caps on a custom car; you went to all of the expense of building the custom, go ahead and spend the money for the nice rims.

I've been hording and stockpiling for 8 years now to get exactly what I wanted for parts. Some day I'll have the money to actually have a couple built!

Just my opinion.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks SmallCal. 5 of my rifles have the 3 pos. One has the commercial shroud. I don't have a problem with the look. I do understand what you are saying though.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch -

As you know, customs are all personal taste and all have opinions on what one should look like. Just be true to your vision.

Thanks to you and TC1 I started cleaning my closet and looking for stuff to get rid of (Mexican Mauser and Mini Mauser have been sitting for too long!) So thanks for the boost and inspiration!

Ken

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote