Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I H

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful as always. Is this the action shape before you started? http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/images/P7270010.JPG It is a 12 ga on William Larkin Moore's site. It was the only close up of an action there.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Post SDH, too cool for words. Especially seeing what you started with...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice.

You carve steel better than most could carve wood...

I'm gonna have to git me a magic die sinkers chisel and some grobets!!! thumb

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Please continue to post your progress. What wood are you planning to use? Barrel length? Who are you planning to engrave it?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH

Extremely delicate work. Nice.

Have you every worked on any of the high grade Italian Shotguns from Bresica, i.e. Piotti, Rizzini, Bertuzzi, or the incomparable Fabbri.

Picture of Travis McGee
posted Hide Post
Pretty good work for a Hobbyist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH

I want an autographed copy of the new book. When is it coming out?

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty good work for a Hobbyist

First post and it's a insult.
Let's see some of your work............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP

why do I get the feeling that Travis McGee is somebody that knows SDH quite well and is just giving him some gas. troll

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Ya, I thought it about it. Lets see what response we get Big Grin

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
SDH: Besides, I often chide the hobbyists, don't I?

Beautiful work Mr. Hughes. I sure like your lever actions too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Travis McGee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:

As for Mr. McGee, the REAL Travis McGee is the fictional hero of author John D. McDonald and I've read every single one of the stories, some as many as four times. Most titles had a color in them, Lonely Silver Rain, Pale Gray for the Shroud, etc.
So, whoever this guy is, I'd offer a spot of Plymouth gin to talk it over any day.
Besides, I often chide the hobbyists, don't I?
SDH

Big Grin

...and there you have it!

Sometimes people hear of such things and remember them for a long, long time. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH

I have all your books and am looking forward to the printing of your next one especially since you mentioned it will contain lots of "how to" pictures and articles.

Since a lot of your skills such as action shaping by chisel, file and scraper are pretty much becoming a lost art, have you considered shooting videos of a lot of the skills only seen in places like Holland and Holland and Purdey and your shop? I am a sucker for these type instructional videos. There are a lot of us gunsmiths and skilled hobbiest who seek higher levels of learning than the average tinkerer. I think there is a lucrative market out there.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH, I can't wait for your next book either. Let me know how much to send you and when. In the meantime I'm enjoying your article about gun finishes in Shooting Sportsman, which thanks to you I now pick up every issue of......................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH , Do ya have a nice Bird Dog to shoot those fine shotguns over? Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In case others didn't know, SDH writes a monthly column on Gunsmithing in "Shooting Sportsman". Nice magazine but his articles alone are worth the price of admission, you might want to check the magazine out. I usually can find it at Barnes and Noble etc............DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like his articles in the magazine as well, but sometimes not enough photos. For example, in the article about Jim Tucker no photos of Mr. Tucker's recent work!!!!!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to your next pics as always.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH

Your post gave cause for thought and I agree, most are just curious and don't care about the esoteric parts of gunsmithing. Alas, after many years of gunwork and many volumes of books I desire even more light. I forget not everyone shares my eccentric quest for more knowledge.

I too enjoy your articles in Shooting Sportsman and look forward to your new book release.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote