New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will this gun ever really "shoot"?
 Login/Join

<EXFFPM>
posted
I have a Winchester Laredo .300 mag and if I seat the bullets so that the cartridges JUST fit in the magazine, they are over 120 thousandths off the lands. Is that too far of a jump to ever shoot with any accuracy or am I doomed to shooting a single shot? Thanks! (Haven't measured my new Ruger yet)

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
It's not too far....the proof is in the shooting....take it to the range and shoot it.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXFFPM

With full length sized brass that has perhaps 2 or 3 thou headspace or new brass, quite often the amount of bullet travel you are talking about is the ideal for accuracy.

For some reason which completely escapes me, neck sized ammo often shoots best with the bullet right near or touching the rifling.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Vanguard .300 Weatherby shoots fine with the bullet ogive about 3/8" from the rifling (and with neck sized cases), so no, it's not too far away for good accuracy.

If a rifle shoots well with full length sized cases with minimum headspace with a considerable bullet jump to the lands but needs the bullet seated to the lands with neck sized cases, that suggests to me that the neck sizing is eccentric.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A longer magazine will cure your problem. My .300 Laredo went from so so to .4�s by the addition of the following Brownells Parts: Magazine, HF #910-307-111 (375 H&H Length) and I did not buy the Ejector or Breech Bolt Stop I just reshaped the Laredo parts to match my 375 H & H. The part numbers for those are: Ejector #910-185-023, Breech Bolt Stop, D #910-000-028. I use a Ken Ferrell one piece scope base, 30mm QRW rings and a Redfield LE-12 Scope.

Posts: 12 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
EXFFPM

Welcome to AR.

I have a m70 with a detachable box magazine that really restricts oal. I have never measured how much jump there is but there is a lot. This rifle has no problem shooting 3/4" or less 3 shot groups with a couple different loads. That is plenty good for my hunting.
So by all means shoot it first and see how she does.

God Bless and good luck
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a rifle just like you. I took it to a competent gunsmith and had two threads cut off the barrel and it re-chambered. Now all my rounds fit in the magazine and I can seat the bullets just off the rifling. Cost-$75.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have an old Savage 110 (243 Win) with over 4,000 rounds through it and right now the 58 grn V-Max bullets are jumping over .130" to the lands and it still shoots into .7 for 5 shots. I keep threatening to rebarrel it but as long as it shoots well, I'm going to leave it alone.

[ 11-30-2003, 03:14: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 223 built on a Rem. 788 action that was throated especially for the 75 grain AMax to touch the rifling when seated with full neck tension in the brass. This puts the Sierra 50 gr. BlitzKing a long way from the rifling. And it shoots fine. Actually the 75 gr. Amax will shoot in the .4's consistently, occasionally the .3's. The little 50 gr. BlitzKing will shoot consistently in the .3's and occasionally in the .2's. So yes if everything is true and straight with the rifle and run out of handloads is kept to .002 or preferably less it should shoot acceptably well jumping a long way to the rifling.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a multitude of guns with long throats where the bullet had to make long jumps and they shot like a bench gun. Al the Brno 21 and 22s are an example and some of the Weatherbys are another...It can work either way.

There is really too much "therory" in gundum today, try it and see how it shoots and forget the hooey.....

I know some really good gunsmiths that are so caught up in throry and BS that they have become victims of their own self intuned intelligence.

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can cut away some of the front lip of your magazines to allow the use of longer loads. This won't work on all rifles though. I just measured 11 different calibers with my Stoney Point OAL guage and many different bullets. On most I couldn't come close to the lands. Apparently the SAAMI recommendations don't mean a damn thing to our manufacturers. Only my 2 Sakos were even close to the recommendations. Most of my rifles shoot well though in spite of this ridiculous jump to the lands. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote