Find
Notify
Tools

7.65x53 into a 9.3x62 Help!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I have a very nice 1909 in 7.65x53 that I was curious if I had it rechambered and rebored what other work would need to be done to make it reliable.

I plan on keeping the same barrel which is original cut to 22".

It is already in a sporter stock, but would hate to do too much in modifications to make it expensive.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

I want something bigger than a .338 but not spend alot of money yet still use the original barrel...

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Any Ideas?

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I'm no gunsmith but my opinion is send that thing off and get it re-bored then chambered and the worst case you'd have to mess slightly with the feeding but I doubt it. Does the 7.65 have a block or anything in the magazine box? If so get rid of that and get a full magazine length follower and you are in business.
You will enjoy the 9.3x62.
Mine is very accurate and very easy to find accurate loads for. (use Ramshot Big Game)
Have fun

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Any Ideas?

Cal30

It will cost you as much or more to re-bore as to buy a new barrel. Buy a 9.3 x 62 barrel and sell your 7.65 to off-set costs. If it in excellent condition as you say, you should be able to get $50 for it.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I disagree,
Revisit several recent posts on reboring. There are some quality re-borers out there and it is definitely cheaper than rebarreling.
You have the cost of the new barrel, chambering and install then blueing not to mention sights or whatever else you need done.
Several rebores are at $225

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
35 Whelen?

Possibly

I have seen a couple of improved versions I really like but the standard would be good also.

I should just leave the 1909 Alone because it is a classy caliber in its own and does shoot well.
I should use a 721 in 06' that I have that has a rough spot in the barrel and be assured it wont need attention in other areas to feed and function correctly.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Cal30 1906:

I have a pristine 1909 Argentine Mauser action that was opened up a bit in the front of the magazine to accomodate the re-chambered original barrel into 30-06, your favorite caliber.

It appears no other alterations were done.

It will feed dummy 30-06 rounds quite well, so I imagine 35 Whelen rounds should be okay.

Feeding my 35 Whelen AI dummy rounds in that original 1909 magazine are a crap shoot. Sometimes the nose of the bolt will over ride the base of the cartridge and jam. The 9.3x62 has a similar sized blown out shoulder like the 35 Whelen AI, and may cause a similar problem. Not my idea of a good time, during a bear hunt in Alaska, by the way.

I'm sure that Duane Wiebe, Jim Kobe or someone else with the same ability could sort this out with the original magazine, but I've chosen not to do it that way. I'm building it into a 6.5x55 SM, which has similar dimensions to the original 7.65x53.

I'd buy one of Duane Wiebe's appropriately designed bottom metal for the 9.3x62.

Now I can get an original 1908 Brazilian magazine to feed spitzer bullet 35 Whelen AI's without fail, but with only four down. That magazine like the K98k's are a bit wider in front, and the feed rails are not so tapered like the 1909 Argentine.

Of course the 1909 feed rails can be milled out, and your factory magazine widened by a pro, but it all depends upon what you want to spend.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Yale
thank you for the info, I went out today and loaded the mag or attempted to, with Garand ammo.

The action was long enough but the box was to short so id have to seat the bullets deeper than Id cacre to.

As I said I like the round as is so I might just have the old 721 rebored to the .35.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Argie guards are easier to open up for length than other mauser guards. There are no floorplate latch recesses to worry about. Just get a file and cut back the rear and front walls to about half the thickness they are now. Adjust the width while you are at it. .30-06 is an easy one on an 1909 so the whelen should be about the same.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JES Reboring did my 8x57 to 9.3x62mm. Less than 2 weeks door to door for $225 total

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As a possible alternative, why not consider the 9.3x57?

It will be an easy conversionPROBABLY and, chances are, much less expensive than a conversion to x62 if you are going to get the current barrel rebored.

And it will still work fine on anything in NA which the x62 length would slay.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
why not consider the 9.3x57?

That is a wise choice also. I believe Im going to leave the 1909 alone and send in the Rem 721.

I want a .35 Whelen but I have nothing but pistol bullets and no dies. I priced .35 Bullets and was a bit discouraged.

I have decided to go with the .338-06 because I already have bullets in that diameter.
I am amazed how much bullets have gone up in 6 years, I am glad I stocked up like crazy when they were cheaper.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Cal30:

I like your thinking, but with one caveat.

If you really want a 35 Whelen, then build a 35 Whelen.

There is just something about a .358 caliber that has that certain something. Everyone that I've talked to, that has a 35 Whelen loves it. And I intend to be a part of that crowd with two 35 Whelen AI's on 1908 Brazilian actions.

One will be for moose and bear in Alaska with a B&L 4200 1.5-6x scope and other a close copy of the 350 Rigby Magnum, in Rigby configuration, but using the 35 Whelen AI case instead with a pre-war Lyman 48 peep.

Now, if you have a hot nut for the 338-06, then please ignore all that I have just said.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Yale

You excellent taste in rifle and sight combos

Id like to see the end results of your build.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, too, Cal30.

Just need some more of that green stuff.

Career transitions suck.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want a 35 Whelen, then build a 35 Whelen.

Yale

I just have to bite the bullet and buy the .35 bullets I guess.
I believe the .338 is a more efficiant round but I have a .338 Win now and was just looking over fesability of getting a larger cal.

I am determined to use my 721 as a rebore that is for certain.

What I need now is to find a good stash of bullets in .35 at 250 grains.

Hell Ill just send the brreled action with no instructions and make that desicion when they cal me...

Cal30

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3X62 done on a 1909 Argentine. After the job was finished the smith told me he had to recontour the ramp for smoother feeding. He said this was common for the 1909 though.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Alright guys

I decided against tampering with my 1909 because the 7.65x53 is to good to mess with and the rifle shoots too good(it has the ballistics or the .308 Win and accomplished it over 100 years ago) That alone deserves respect in my book.

So...

I sent in my Rem 721 30-06 with a pitted barrel that shot okay but I wanted something else to play with caliber wise.

I was torn between the .338-06 the .35 Whelen and the 9.3x62.

After long thought and alot of research and asking questions I decided on the 9.3x62 for my rebore.

I checked out Graff&sons and found ammo for 25.00 per box and bullets for 28.00 per 100.

They are not premium they are Privi partison
I have experiance with this in different calibers and they shot well when I used them.

Any ways it was a good way to get my feet wet without spending a huge some of money.

If I was going to hunt over seas or something I would not have taken the cheap way out.

Probably the most dangerous critter Ill go up against is going to be a Black bear and they kill pretty easy.

So FWIW Im getting my feet wet with the old 9.3x62.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We expect photographs after its rebirth, sir.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Here is the update on my rebore, I chose to do it in the 721 Rem.

I also chose the 9.3x62 as my new cartridge as I was able to find ammo and components at resonable prices.

I had J.E.S. reboring services do the work based upon suggestions here and after talking to Jesse himself.

I can say I felt good about sending it to him, He was a great guy to talk with and told me exactly what to expect when I got it back.

I got it back in 2 weeks and shot it with the same sight set up, Peeps as back up and the old Weaver post 3-5 power scope that I had on it before I sent it off.

At 50 yards it the exact same place as it did in the original .3006' chambering.

I shot 2 5 shot groups at 50 yards and they all touched in both groups Wink.

I am VERY impressed with the cartridge in every aspect (it does kick somewhat in a 721 but not excessively).

I recommend this to any body who who has a shot out 06' or just looking for something else to play with.

Cal30 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool.

Still, you will have to build a 35 Whelen at some point.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Just get a 9.3x62 barrel from Lothar Walther already chambered & threaded for the M98. It's the 720 (.650 at the muzzle) contour. The chamber will be about .010 (tenthousanths) too deep. That means you do not need a reamer just face off the breech th get the correct headspace.

M98 LW barrels

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yale:
Cool.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

-on an '03, tradition and all that.

I'd save the Mauser as is or for something else Mauserly.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Get a new chrome moly barrel; don't rebore the original barrel; it will be too light and will kick too much, and won't look like a chopped off military barrel; My opinion.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
on an '03, tradition and all that.

Yep and I have one to do it with Wink

Its already been sporterized and looks as is, I just have too many 06' rifles and love to play with a new cartridge.

For the price of a rebore at 225.00 and shipping at 16.00 its a very good option and the barreled action drops in just as it was taken out. NO having to rebed and all that work.

I just need to find a reasonable price on components to shoot it.

Brass as you know will not be a problem but 250 grain .35 bullets are not cheap!

Cal30

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chris

Im still thinking about the Whelen but I have a good selection of .338 bullets.

If I do a .338-06 Im going to have it stamped as a .338 OKH for something different.

I want the Whelen just have to find a good deal on .35 bullets...

Cal30