Find
Notify
Tools

New stock - grain layout in wrist?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Tell me what you think about this stock. I just bought it based on a description, but no pictures. Now that it's here, I'm happy with the figure in the butt, and mostly happy with the whole stock, but if I had the choice I would want the flow of the grain different in the wrist.

I don't know if this is a flaw or a problem in any way. Will some of you knowledgable guys enlighten me? Thanks.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
The flow of the grain pattern through the wrist can lead to an easily broken stock in that area. Grain should run straight down from the action to the butt as best as possible. Other than that the stock had a very nice grain pattern. It could possibly be reinforced by installing a pin down through the wood from the action channel through the wrist area as deep as possible.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I personally would install a rod in the pistol grip for sure. I usually do that as a matter of course in any case no matter what the grain. I usually insert from under the gripcap as that hides the pin and go all the way to the rear action screw hole. Believe it or not I have used 5/16" drill bits in some cases as the flutes in the drill hold epoxy well and the drill is tough and about the right length.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It looks like the layout will result in a pretty stable stock. The knarley grain is in the butt, and the forearm and action area is pretty straight. I think I'll use a 6.5x55 barreled action, so recoil will be a non-issue. This is a gun I'll use on the deer stand down south, and maybe shoot a hog with it too.

If it is stable, I think using the pin reinforcement in the wrist as you suggested will be sufficient. Thanks for the advice. It could use a pistol grip cap anyway. It already has an ebony forearm tip. I’ve seen some good looking stocks with a knot in the front part of the action area. I never trusted that, and would rather have this stock.

When you order these stocks from the big mfg, and they class them AAA, Exhibition or whatever, apparently that doesn’t mean they are graded based upon grain layout or flow through the wrist. I think in the future, I’ll try getting a blank that is laid out right and going from there. I just don’t know who the get to turn it at a reasonable price, with a reasonably good result. I like a nice looking walnut stock, but frankly some of the beauties I’ve seen on this form are out of my price range.

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote