Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna 648
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I have a chance at a Husky Model 648(?)8x57(allegedly of 1948 manufacture, which seems to be about right) in "as new" condition. I believe it to be one of the commercial M96 actions, cock on closing, small ring, with the high left reciever wall and no cutout. It is in a commercial stock, looks to be birch. I'm looking to build a 6 mm Rem on it, I've had a long unsucessful look for an small, smooth action and despite it being a crime to modify such an original rifle, 8x57 is not a calibre I need. I figure I'll forgive myself if turn it into a hansomely stocked mountain rifle.

A archives search reveals that the action is regarded (mostly) as strong enough, and should be very well finished.

Some questions:

Will this action fit stocks inlet after military m38 and m96 patterns (ie there are lots of folks who make replacement stocks for the military rifles, so if I specify inletting for m38/96 will it fit)??

Is anyone familiar with the characteristics of the trigger on these??

Is any other bottom metal interchangeable??

What steel mount options might be available for a reciever that does not have the hump ground off (it'll need drilled and tapped anyway).

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep a m96 inlet stock is what it takes, yours is probably beech wood

You can slick up that trigger or get a m96 Bold trigger. The Bold works way beter than the timney on that action. Timney's sear spring is too stiff and makes it hard to retract the bolt.

Luepold has 2 piece mounts that work with the unaltered charger hump. M96 mounts

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They are good guns but not particularly valuable. If you want to chop it, go for it.

Replacement triggers are everywhere as is Ed LaPour's three position Mod 70 style safety which also converts it to cock-on-opening.

The action is called the "Improved Mauser" action and is designed for modern cartridges and modern pressures. I can't say if it is a perfect fit in stocks cut for military Swedes. Ask that question here: Swede sporting board and ask that question; someone more knowlegable than I can tell you.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Contact AR member Steve Bruns ( sbhvaATaol.com AT = @). He knows from where he speaks about Husqvarna rifles. If he can't answer your questions he will know somebody that does.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Yep a m96 inlet stock is what it takes, yours is probably beech wood

You can slick up that trigger or get a m96 Bold trigger. The Bold works way beter than the timney on that action. Timney's sear spring is too stiff and makes it hard to retract the bolt.

Luepold has 2 piece mounts that work with the unaltered charger hump. M96 mounts

This about sums it up!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fore one would not agree with the statement below.

The M96 is not as strong as the M98 and there might wery well be a risk for a CF if one tries to load it to modern levels or rechamber or rebarrels it to modern caliber, both Husqvarna and Stiga factories did 9,3x62:s on the M96:s but only selected actions and I would not feel safe or cool using it in that cal with full house loads.

Used in the 6,5x55 chambering and at starting loads it´s a treat and safe to shoot and will be surprisingly accurate at that.

Please be careful.

Best regards Chris, in Sweden aka Mr Husqvarna on www.robsoft.nu

quote:

The action is called the "Improved Mauser" action and is designed for modern cartridges and modern pressures. I can't say if it is a perfect fit in stocks cut for military Swedes. Ask that question here: Swede sporting board and ask that question; someone more knowlegable than I can tell you.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Chris, the 640 series "Improved Mauser" action was made specifically by Husqvarna to bring the original '96 action up to par for modern rounds without a complete retooling at the factory.

It is not the same action that Stiga used or any other Swedish company that built sporting rifles on surplus military parts and it is not the same action as the earlier Husqvarna M46.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle in 8x57, mine being SN 868xx. I think that the Swedish built small ring pre-1898 pattern Mausers are probably the very best of the pre-1898s, but I don't know if I would trust my eyesight to that action and a high pressure cartridge like the 6mm Remington. It is a strong action, but doesn't handle escaping gas nearly as well as the larger gas shield of the 1898s does. Although blown primers and seperated cases don't happen very often, when/if they do, do you want to take a chance?

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It handles gas as well as a pre-64 Model 70, would you be afraid of a 6MM in a Winchester? Just because something isn't quite as "good" as a '98 doesn't mean it is unsafe. It can still be perfectly adequate. Besides, you should be wearing glasses regardless. But if it remains an issue to anyone, the LaPour safety has a full '98 style shroud and should reconcile that concern.

220 Swift was a popular factory caliber in the 640 series, too. Almost exactly the same SAMMI MAOP as the 6 MM Remington. I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just hate to see T-man give up an idea that has no real drawbacks from a safety point of view. Other calibers that would be excellent in that action are the 6.5 x 57, the 5.6 x 57, any 308-based round including the 358 Win or the new 338 Federal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats good, Then we all se eye to eye about the older M96:s right.

Still being a Swede I havre still to learn more about the vast production from Husqvarna.

Best regards Chris.

quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Chris, the 640 series "Improved Mauser" action was made specifically by Husqvarna to bring the original '96 action up to par for modern rounds without a complete retooling at the factory.

It is not the same action that Stiga used or any other Swedish company that built sporting rifles on surplus military parts and it is not the same action as the earlier Husqvarna M46.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Risk is a relative thing, some people gladly accept greater risk and some don't. I'm fond of my eyesight and don't see enough upside to compensate for the downside, so I made my recommendation accordingly.

I'm not a big pre-'64 Winchester 70 guy, that was my Father's interest, so I couldn't offer an informed opinion in that regard.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote