New
Find
Notify
Tools

What barrel for .264WM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a Sako LH Magnum action, and now need to select a barrel. I think 26" with an 8" twist in a light weight would fill the bill. But what brand? I have looked at all the barrel makers websites , Shilen,Hart,Pac-Nor,Lilja,Douglas, and a couple more. I used a Adams Bennet on a Whelen once, and it was adequate, but not outstanding.And always thought Douglas was tops, but from what I read here, am not sure anymore.Comments appreciated.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith always asks me the same question, "Who's barrels win the supershoot?" He likes Shilens and doesn't like Pac-Nor. I'm looking hard at Lothar-Walther and Krieger's have an outstanding reputation along with Lilja and Hart

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go for a Krieger or a Border (or Shilen / Hart / Lilja) . They will all probably shoot better than you..

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Marc>
posted
I am pondering the same question. I want to rebarrel my 264 WM. I have narrowed it to Krieger or Lothar-Walther. I want a light contour but I am not sure how light I should go. Any reason you decided on the 8" twist?

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
All the barrel makers mentioned are ok in my book. I'm buying my barrels from Douglas but accuracy has far more components than barrel.

I think the quality of the chambering, fitting the barrel to the action, the type of action, stock, and fitting the barreled action to the stock are equally important as mfr. of the barrel.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a chromoly barrel, any of the well regarded makers will be fine (Shilen, Douglas, Pac-nor, Krieger, Badger, LW, and a host of others. If stainless I think I would be inclined to go with the Lothar Walther. The added life claimed for their stainless would be of some benefit in a 264. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have seen all the choices and there are a number of top notch barrel makers. The best barrel won't shoot any better than a rusty sewer pipe with a bad installation and/or crooked chamber. I would send my action to Hart and have them install one of their barrels and then I could sleep well nights. I shure would not trust the reformed key cutter down the road who says he is a gunsmith to install a good barrel.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chargar:
I shure would not trust the reformed key cutter down the road who says he is a gunsmith to install a good barrel.

How do you know that your "reformed key cutter" has not been hired by Hart [Razz]

Good work is mostly a matter of attitude whether performed uptown or by the guy "down the road".

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had Shilen, Douglas, Montana Rifleman and Lilja. I think the Lilja is probably the best just due to smoothness with the Douglas and Montana very closely behind. I will never have another Shilen. Probably a once in a lifetime bad experience, but bad none the less. My 264 wears a 26" CM 1:9 Lilja and as others have said, that is only half. The folks that installed it were great.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice here, and I appreciate it. I am going with the 8" twist because I don't anticipate loading heavier than 130 grain. MOA and sub MOA don't mean a whole lot to me. Two rounds in the 10 ring at a hundred and the third just out because of barrel heat from the first two does.And if the first two touch, that is certainly alright. That is just about all I am capable of. And I am certainly aware of prices, but don't lose any sleep over another two or three hundred, especially on this once in a lifetime deal. And barrel life isn't a factor.It won't be shot enough to wear it out. I am glad to see some good input on the Douglas. That is the name I am most familiar with for several decades.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bubba John:
I am going with the 8" twist because I don't anticipate loading heavier than 130 grain.

Bubba,

The standard twist for the 264 WM is 1-9. If your only loading up to 130's or even 140's it should be fine. There is the 142 MK and maybe others that could use a faster twist.