THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Nitriding front sight blades to resist holster wear?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nitriding front sight blades to resist holster wear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two revolvers that have easily removed front sight blades. The blades were originally blued to a deep charcoal gray. Practicing with leather-holstered revolvers has worn away blades' dark finish in an extremely short time. I have been informed that nitriding the the sight blades to a flat black will prevent my blades from such surface color wear. Also I was informed that blades' dimensions would not change.

1. Will [black] nitriding resist holster wear of blades' color pretty much indefinitely?

2. From whom can I obtain nitriding for a job consisting of two small pieces?
Having experience with Cerakote® flat black finish done by a Montana shop that specializes in best-quality ceramic finishes, I definitely prefer to avoid the ceramic finish.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1512 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Check with http://blacknitride.com/

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOst anything will wear in time..An option that works best is a slight bulge at the crown of the holster..The old Brill holsters out of Austin Texas had that bulge built in and it hardly showed..I bet you could take any leather holster and make a wood block the shape you need, soak the leather and force insert the block and let it dry. drill a hole in the block and attach a piece of nylon rope so you can pull it out..Brill did that and used a tapered leather insert at the end of the holster..Brill holsters were the elete of all leather holsters, and every Texas Ranger I know had several of them..I have two..They fetch a pretty penny these days if you can find one...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote