Find
Notify
Tools

checkering makeover--HELP!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
I have a Win Mod 70 Safari Express stock that has poor checkering on the grip panels. I'd really like to keep this stock on the rifle because it is a heavy and dense piece of wood (and because it fits me very well.) The grip checkering has every 2nd or 3rd line too closely spaced. Is there a practical way to get this fixed without thinning the grip much or without having to refinish the entire stock? Please, HELP! [Frown]

Thanks in advance,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ACRecurve,
Without a close look at the stock and from what you describe, I am likely to say No. When you cut checkering properly the diamonds that are produced have peaks and valleys. If the spacing is off to begin with, there is no way to put wood back into those valleys that are in the wrong place. The other problem you probably have is that the lines per inch (lpi) is probably fairly large, 16 or 18 lpi and the resluting valleys are also deep. The time to fix bad spacing is as it is being checkered and before the lines are cut full depth.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dirtiest job in the world is re-cutting someone else's checkering. The problem is the spacing. You start out and the next thing you know, the lines don't match up. You also find every mistake the original checkerer did. You usually end up taking it all down and re-doing the whole pattern. I totally dislike doing it and usually charge extra.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you try doctoring it up, give Winchester a call. They may accept it back and fix it for you, or replace it with a better one.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote