Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Burgess Flip up sight Prototype
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted
Well as promised Here is the first one. Need to work out some bugs in the design. But over all its a good start.
Sight
Comments and critique always welcome. Not taking orders yet either

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I for one am impressed, and I mean IMPRESSED! Good luck!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Where/how is it going to mount?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I would assume as I have yet to see on in the flesh that Tom silver soldered it to a square bridge base. Now since I already make a square bridge base Mounting it to one will be of little effort. Keep in mind this is just the first few steps. I'll get additional pics up tomorrow after I cut a base to mount it to.

This is the original
Tom Burgess

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish it came with a base set for Mod. 70s, all types, FN Deluxe and Supreme actions and both large and small ring Mausers. This would be an integrated unit and would accept Talley rings or others like them, Alaska Arms, etc. Then, with a banded ramp front, with Sourdough insert, I could have the irons I want on my rifles as well as a good scope in QD mounts.

I would gladly pay serious coin for such a setup.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I plan on making it with a base as a set. It would be useless to sell it just as is. You will also be able to choose the aperture diameter.
And Dewey you can always commission one.

But this is the feed back I'm looking for.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Never having used Peep sights much, but being interested in them, is there a formula of some sort to determine how large the aperture should be?

Good question, maybe there's some sort of "standard" like the usual standard 13 1/2" LOP on most factory stocks.

For your sight Kerry I would suggest you incorporate various apertures as in those types used by Lyman and others.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Craigster
Yeah i can try that but I'll have to figure out a way to make the aperture insert compact as it needs to fold down into a very small area.

Now I don't know jack when it comes to peep sights. But the aperture diameter is usually determined by the type of target you intend to shoot. The small the aperture the sharper the sight image and the finer control you have. The larger the aperture the better you can see your target but you lose the fine touch of a sharp sight picture. Also smaller sights work best in bright sunlight and larger sights are better for low light and even night shoots.
Aperture diameter is also determined by ho close the sight is to you eye. The closer it is the smaller the aperture can be. I've never seen a sight with an aperture smaller then 1/16" inch and other then ghost rings on SMGs i've never seen an aperture larger then .200"
Take all this with a grain of salt because as I said I don't know jack about the particulars in aperture sizing
Again though thanks for the input. I'm taking notes.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
How will the sight be adjustable?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the .070" aperture size as used on the M-1 Garand would be a good place to start.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Mike right know it's only adjustable for windage. You have to install a front sight with a removable insert to adjust for elevation. Keep in mind it was originally designed as a back up sight on a DGR. It is not nor will ever be a replacement for a fixed receiver sight. It is only a compact, clean, and nearly hidden back up sight

Craigster Yep that's where I started but I went .080" because that was the tip of the center drill I had in the chuck. This one is only a mock up so Not to concerned. As I work out the bugs details will be noted and added to the drawings. Then a small production run. Like ten pieces

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in buying one for my Dakota 76-.338WM, which now has the Dakota-specific sized Talley-made bases and Dakota-Talley rings, with the rear base notched for the sighted Talley "peep" sight and the front is a custom Martini banded ramp with Euro. Sourdough.

I would prefer to have the rear sight attached to the rifle and so a base to replace what is now there, incorporating your sight would be just great. I have Talley-Brockman's on several other rifles and various other "peep" sight-QD mount combos on many other rifles, I will stick with these, but, the Dakota and perhaps a couple of others would be improved greatly by the addition of this sight.

When, you have details, prices, etc, please PM me or e-mail to wodaxe@msn.com. I can then determine just what will work for my situation.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Dewey
I'll keep you posted.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
KC,

Nice looking products. At 62, my eyes prefer a rear peep over the typical barrel mounted rear leaf sight for iron sight use. Have you figured out a way to integrate the Burgess type flip-up/folding peep sight within the rear base of a set of Contoured Double Square Bridge style bases cut for the M98 Mauser bridges and Talley rings yet? If so I would be in for at least two of them. Let me know.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
KC,

Nice looking products. At 62, my eyes prefer a rear peep over the typical barrel mounted rear leaf sight for iron sight use. Have you figured out a way to integrate the Burgess type flip-up/folding peep sight within the rear base of a set of Contoured Double Square Bridge style bases cut for the M98 Mauser bridges and Talley rings yet? If so I would be in for at least two of them. Let me know.

Me too.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my old eyes a ghost ring is a good appature size I have had good luck just removing the insert in a lyman. Dont know what size that is but for backup sights on my 416 I want fast, not precise. I have one old folding peep on a Redfield base that is similar and works well. super to know of a new source.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The 98 platform will be the first one made. And I only plan on making it with Talley dovetails. As far as mounting it, That is already solved. I'm in the garage today making the first base.

I need to get access to a M70 and a Dakota. I may have to hit Dewey up for one of his bases to get the geometry for the Dakota

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Ok new pics posted
Sight

This is a Talley style base for a 98 Mauser. Already found a few things that need to be changed. Keep in mind it's right off the Mill with no polishing so the base is rough.
Thanks for the input guys

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
quote:
KC,

Me too.
Regards, Joe

Those newly posted photos really look great!

However, He hasn't told you the price yet. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
22WRF
Yep you'er right I have yet to even get close to thinking what these are worth. But they ain't gonna be cheep thats for sure. That little bugger is time consuming to make. I just spent the last three days off and on designing and building ONE!
Granted once it's all figured out and the fixturing is done it will take much less time. I'm already looking at a better way to cut the contour on the underside of the bases. Be nice to have a Horizontal mill and a form cutter

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Be nice to have a Horizontal mill and a form cutter

With little else to do today I spent most of the day watching CNBC. They ran profiles of very successful people the entire day. People who became very successful from their ideas.

And one of the things that I noticed most was that most of these people's success came from duplicating their time. They came up with the product or the concept. But they learned fast that they could make more money by paying somebody else less than they had to pay theirself to make it, while they spent their valuable time marketing.

As just one example, George Forman is worth about 150 million dollars. The most he ever earned from one fight was $5 million. The rest he earned by selling things. But he didn't make even one of the things he sold.

I bet that where you are there are just as many small machine shops advertising for work as there are here.

People here on AR become impatient. And if they become impatient enough they will crucify someone who has promised goods but doesn't deliver. Mr. Williams comes to mind, as do
Blackburn, Satterlee, Belk, Soverns, Greg Hein, and even Mr. Burgess himself towards the end of his career (may he rest in peace).

Get em made, put a fair price on em, and get em sold. And at the same time look for other innovative things that you can develop and bring to market for the custom gun industry. That is where your real talent is. That is how you will make your money.

Good words of wisdom. tu2

Updated pictures look nice... I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anybody ever crucified Tom Big Grin

I am enjoying watching the progress on this, always love seeing new gadgetry for the guns, I'm curious too to see the final price on it.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Being slow to deliver is not the problem with custom parts. It's not keeping your promises. If you communicate with your customers and keep them in the loop there should be no surprises and no broken promises.

22WRF good advice but I'll farm out the work when I can't keep up the production or I can't turn handels any more. I would most likely farm out the roughing out of the parts the do the final finish and assembly myself.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being slow to deliver is not the problem with custom parts. It's not keeping your promises. If you communicate with your customers and keep them in the loop there should be no surprises and no broken promises.
You will have no unhappy customers living by these conditions! Don't forget to let us know when you've figured out pricing.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
With my old eyes a ghost ring is a good appature size I have had good luck just removing the insert in a lyman. Dont know what size that is but for backup sights on my 416 I want fast, not precise. I have one old folding peep on a Redfield base that is similar and works well. super to know of a new source.

SSR

I have also had good luck shooting with the insert removed. IIRC, the threaded hole measures about 0.181".

This seems very large compared to what we are talking about, but it really works quite well.

Finn Aagaard was a proponent of this set-up. He recommended removing the insert and discarding it.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

100% correct tu2

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You will have no unhappy customers living by these conditions! Don't forget to let us know when you've figured out pricing.

Noted and will have updates soon. I'm reworking the design

www.KLStottlemyer.com

posted Hide Post
Kerry,
Prototype looks great. Does the sight lock into position when it's down and up? Any thought about making the sight stand taller, or making different heights as an option? Another suggestion is to make the sight available separate from the base, so that a smith can install it on a GMA rear bridge as an example. Am really looking forward to developments. I can see this on the rifle project I'm currently planning.
Ray

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Z:
Kerry,
Prototype looks great. Does the sight lock into position when it's down and up? Any thought about making the sight stand taller, or making different heights as an option? Another suggestion is to make the sight available separate from the base, so that a smith can install it on a GMA rear bridge as an example. Am really looking forward to developments. I can see this on the rifle project I'm currently planning.
Ray

Those are all things to consider. It would not be difficult to make three peep sight inserts in .050 steps.
The sight will have a lock that will hold the sight in place.
and as far as selling just the sight itself with no base, Of course I would. Why would I shoot myself in the foot and take away potential high end customers.
Again EVERYONE thanks for the feedback Great suggestions and good advice. I still taking notes.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Z:
Kerry,
Ray

Those are all things to consider. and as far as selling just the sight itself with no base, Of course I would. Why would I shoot myself in the foot and take away potential high end customers.

I salute you, Kerry! This is a sore point with me when I see craftsmen who won't sell their products as parts. Outstanding!
Regards, Joe

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well if you want to conner the market you sure can't by limiting who and how you sell your part. I cut my theeth in a job shop tool room. We are the whores of the machining industry. We will make you any part no matter how much a PITA it is or any number of parts. Just pay the bill. My shop is setup that way. I'll build you anything my tools can so long as you pay the bill

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Orig. Burgess installation.

Another method: Utilizing squarebridge/base material itself, rather than soldering anything on.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
Orig. Burgess installation.

Another method: Utilizing squarebridge/base material itself, rather than soldering anything on.

Is that your rifle Trax??

If it is could I ask you to post a close up of the sight like the bottom picture just more detail. And yes for those that may wonder I'm R&Ding this (ripoff and duplicate) I say that with tongue firmly planted in cheek

www.KLStottlemyer.com