New
Find
Notify
Tools

? about rechambering
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Gibbs Summit chambered for .45-70. Is it possible to rechamber it to .45-120? If so, what's a guestimate of the cost?
If this is feasable, I'd handload for it with BP or WC860 and push 500 gr. RN bore riders through it.
Thanks,
Puncher

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Gibbs Summit is an Enfield Mk4.....correct?

That action will handle a 4"+ cartridge?

Just curious...

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to highjack a thread, but in a general area, where do you hang your hat Grandview. There is a farm that I love to hunt where there is a nearby establishment called Grandview. Just wondering if you were around my old stomping grounds.

Alan

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
I'm from Wisconsin, Alan.

I have a cabin, and do most of my hunting around Grand View, Wisconsin. It's in the northern-most part of the state.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why?, you can stuff enough powder in a 45/70 to
ruin your shoulder as it is.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I suppose the rechambering part is possible, but I doubt that the action, made for .303-British length cases, would permit you to use the magazine for such a long round. You'd essentially have a singel-shot.

And, as hawkins says, the regular 2.1" .45/70 case will allow velocities of over 1800 FPS with 500 grain bullets.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote