New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about Whitworth Express 375
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a Whitworth from AR Classifieds from allfoden (thanks, Ed), a 375 Express with a beautiful marbled stock. It will replace my Ruger #1 375 as a proper controlled feed DGR.

In scanning a number of comments about the Whitworth on these boards over time, I hear about ditching the factory safety and trigger for an aftermarket replacement, but don't hear about why. The trigger is adjustable, so is it a quality issue? The safety is a trigger block, but is there something specific questionable about it? I will probably swap for a bolt shroud safety at some point, but am curious about the stock items.

I can also only get 3 down in the magazine. The extractor is beveled so I can load 4 cartidges. Is 3 down what other owners get?

Any other adjustments or modifications out there that improve this rifle?

Thanks for your input. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent mine to Dave Gentry for a 3-position safety because I'd rather have the safety block the firing pin. It would also be more like my other guns that way.

Dave just takes the safety off the standard trigger and adjusts the trigger from there.

He also corrected feeding problems -- mine wouldn't work with 3 in the magazine and wouldn't feed right from the magazine to begin with. He says lots of them "just weren't finished at the factory."

Fast turn-around, too.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The only issue I have with the factory trigger and safety is that it only blocks the trigger. It has an adjustment screw on it. If you make any setting changes for sear, overtravel, or pull weight I would be sure to recheck it. I have never had one fail but, prefer the 3 position or even the old 2 position. I've also used the factory safety on numerous occations without problems. I have always been able to adjust the trigger to acceptable hunting rifle settings.

All I have seen the safety would lock the bolt like the old remingtons. So you have to take the gun off safe to remove the ammo. It is a simple fix to cut off the tab and allow the bold to function while the trigger remains on safe.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Whitworths, they all seem to shoot well..I would prefer a M-70 safty and a Blackburn trigger, but its not necessary...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote