New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've lost my sling!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've lost my Brownells Latigo sling. I've had it for several years and it's a known companion on my hunting excursions. I pride myself on taking care of my stuff and just don't lose things, it's driving me nuts.

I figured I'd substitute it with one of the nylon wonders I currently own, but I can't do it. So I ordered a new one in matte black (the other was tan) on Friday.

Anyone else lose something so insignificant while being bothered so much about it at the same time? My wife is tired of me turning the house upside down!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Case pocketknife.......

I was so upset I bought two more of the same model, then I found the original.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turner Saddlery makes leather and biothane slings that are a thousand times better than the ones Brownells sells under their brand name. Check them out.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Chuck, do yourself a favor and trade that heavy Latigo sling for an Uncle Mike's "Mountain sling." A much better arrangement in nearly all regards and the very best, IMO, of all the "nylon slings."

Still, I feel your pain Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just last year after gutting a nice buck I "misplaced" my custom drop point hunter someplace between where I gutted the buck and the pickup. I have been back there several times to look; but nothing. To quote a famous movie, that knife dissappeared like a fart in the wind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was that movie "Gone with the Wind"?????

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Chuck, how did you manage to lose your sling?

I've damaged or lost a series of pocket knives over the years, and those episodes have been frustrating. One Victorinox was left in a jacket pocket too close to a hot woodstove and the handle warped. Several have been left with airport security people because I neglected to take them out of my pocket before screening. Others were lost for mysterious reasons beyond my understanding or recollection. Someday, I'll get an handle on it -- I hope!

Rick, those Turner slings are fantastic, but they carry too much leather for a hunting sling. I'd love to see Turner produce a 1" Whelen sling for hunters. The Whelen is the best hunting sling ever developed, plus it's simple, light, and effective........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
This may just be another Ford/Chevy thing, but I prefer the Brownells "Competitor Plus" to the Turner Saddlery 1907 sling. The Brownells leather just feels better to me.

I also like a leather sling better than a synthetic despite the weight. I think a 1" Latigo sling is pretty much a hunter's ideal sling.

Different strokes......

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
I don't know about the rest of the country but here in alabama its bad summer cold/ allergy time and the mrs. and I both have chest colds we cought from our eight month old grandprince.

Does anyone besides me use a sling to shoot with? I find that I am much better in off hand and sitting positions if I use at least a hasty sling.
I can not get my son to use a sling. He thinks it is too much trouble and takes too much time. Of course, most of the slings you find today are not for shooting, ust for carrying, and are just extra weight as far as I am concerned.
I guess that this is a generational thing. I use a Uncle mikes competition sling on all of my rifles unless I an walking a Loooong way then I use a carry sling with the uncle mikes in my pack to use then I get there.
I also usually carry muzzle down so that I can get in to a hasty sling position while raising the rifle.
Rick, Glad to hear that your son is OK. When he gets home, I hope that you will be able to learn how much grandchildren mean to old farts like me. ( not meaning you are an old fart.)
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old US military cotton web slings are hard to beat. They are light, non slip, and can be used for shooting. They are very cheap. Buy a bunch and never worry about slings again.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I did not loose me sling but I did manage to go hunting several times with out having it on my rifle. It is a real PITA to find one when you need it in a small town.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does loosing my atv in my garage count??too many dekes and other outdoor things... LOL

On a serious note Brad turned me onto that Mtn sling a year ago, my 3 main rifles carry them and that is it.

To date they are the best I've used.(thx Brad)

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Anyone else lose something so insignificant while being bothered so much about it at the same time? My wife is tired of me turning the house upside down!Chuck

I do this two or three times a week!! Sometimes, the item reappears exactly where I knew it was, and had already looked there three or four times. Poltergeists, perhaps??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I lost a reloading manual once I knew I had put it in the file cabinet under my telephone, but I just couldnt find it. I asked the wife to look (she is good at finding things) it took her about 2 seconds. I asked her where was it hiding she turned it over in the drawer I had looked at it 100 times or more boy did I feel like a dumb ass.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I lost my lucky Buck 110 folder. Nearly drove myself nuts wondering where it could have fallen out of the emply case. Saw something glistening in the picture of the buck I'd shot. Ta Da! It took a 60 mile trip and 2 hour walk but it's still with me. Told ya it was lucky!

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, losing a sling is nothing. I managed to lose a shotgun. I was grouse hunting in my early 20's and I set my gun on top of my truck so I could strip off some clothes on a warm afternoon. I was about 10 miles down the road when it dawned on me. That was 25 years ago and I still kick myself.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote