New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is meaning of 'FAMAGE' stamped on the front ring?? Does mean something special??

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
It means it was reworked by the Columbians in the mid 50's 52-57. they were converted from the original 7x57 to .30-06. Typically the receiver was scrubbed, R. Famage stamped on the right side, and the receiver ring notched to allow loading .30-06 cartridges on stripper clips. The feed ramp was altered to accomodate teh longer '06 rounds.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for your response. I remembered read on this forum about this some time back, but could not remember what was posted. Do you any guess who manufacture these action?

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Mostly Steyr-Solothurn or FN.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I built my 338/06 on a 1952 FAMAGE action. They are excellent actions.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it means it was rechambered by the FAbrica Militaria Armas de GuerrE or something like that (the state Columbian arsenal)

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I built my 338/06 on a 1952 FAMAGE action. They are excellent actions.

My Whelen is built on one.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased 3 Large Ring M98 receivers from Springfield Sporters in March, 1996. They were advertised as NEW FN receivers. When they arrived, they were marked "R. FAMAGE 1957", w/ a Colombian crest. Stamped ".30" on the bridge. Rear of ring notched. Nicely machined & blued and looked new (but may have been reworked to look new).

I still have one, and just checked to see if it is a 'C' ring or 'H' ring, and it is a 'C'. The only fault that I could find (on all 3) was that the lug seats were very rough. Otherwise, they looked great, to me. I wish I had bought more. Hindsight...

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
I purchased 3 Large Ring M98 receivers from Springfield Sporters in March, 1996. They were advertised as NEW FN receivers. When they arrived, they were marked "R. FAMAGE 1957", w/ a Colombian crest. Stamped ".30" on the bridge. Rear of ring notched. Nicely machined & blued and looked new (but may have been reworked to look new).

I wish I had bought more. Hindsight...

The two I have came from the same place. I wish I had bought a dozen!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote