Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 452 dovetail for scope mount problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I have a problem with a CZ 452 I have. I bought it used and it had a set of the ugly Millet rings on it. So I decided to give it the same treatment as my other 452 the other day and put a pair of Warne Premier rings on it. I was able to get them on the dovetail but there is a 1/8" gap in the clamp. So I measured the dovetail and it is about 1/8" wider than my other 2 CZ 452's. Hence the reason for having to use the Millet rings.

The way I see it I can contact CZ and see if they can re-machine the dovetail on the receiver or I can cut the dovetails on the rings a little wider. Using rings like the Millets just isnt an option to me. They are just way too ugly.

I hate to send the rifle off to CZ for a couple reasons. First it has a gorgeous piece of wood and I dont want to swap it out. Second the rifle is a tack driver and I would like to keep it.

I dont have a clue who could even do the work on either the rings or receiver. I would imagine that doing the rings would be the easiest and cheapest option.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it or who could do it?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
'Tanker:

I have 2 452's, a Varmint and an American (Sporter, I guess). Anyway, try a set of BLK rings (I think that is right) from Brownell's. Apparently, they are airgun rings, but worked beautifully on my Varmint. They tighten down from both sides, not just one side.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I loked at the BKL rings and they just are not what I am looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I would really like to make the Warne rings work since they are my favorite and look so good.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton can do it, but he's not exactly in your neighborhood.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can have the receiver tapped for weaver bases. If you drive through here on your way home my gunsmith can mill the rail down to standard specs.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
There are 2 different widths of dovetails on CZ's (and I'm fairly sure that Warne makes (or used to make) both sizes). I think the widths are 16mm and 19mm.

Sounds like you have the wrong rings is all, so check this out before you go to milling!

Talley rings are pretty nice looking, and I know that they make rings for both CZ widths.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check here http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/
These guys are the .22 rimfire CZ gurus. You can search the site and probably find your answer.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also agree for you to check out rimfirecentral. I had the same rifle and got a set of Weaver base adapters made by Eric Brooke's. You will find information on him over at rimfirecentral, I don't have the info. anymore. They are really well made and I mounted Burris Zee rings on the adapters. It looked really nice and worked well.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
CZ actually uses 3 sizes of dovetails. 19mm on the 550, 16m on the 527 smallbore centerfires, and 11mm on 452 rimfires. I did try a set of the 16mm just to see if they would sork and they are too wide to clamp on the rail.

I have installed the Warne Premiers on my other 2 CZ 452 rifles without any issues at all. For some wierd reason the dovetail rail on this particular rifle is wider than any other 452 I have measured but narrower than the 527's rails.

I did try installing a set of Talley's that are made for the CZ and they are too narrow. This particular rifle just has an oddball rail.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
On CZ's website they say the 452 American uses a 3/8" dovetail and the rest of the 452's use the 11mm. For some reason mine measures right between the 2.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
M1Tamaker. i have a cz 452 american and a 452 lux both in 22 lr. the lux has the 11mm dovetail and the american has standard american 3/8th dovetail. i ended up using cz rings in the 11mm dovetail on the lux model. they are made specifically for the 11mm dovetail so no issues. however, they may not be what you are looking for in the looks department Big Grin i can get them at a gunshop in dallas so let me know if you want to try some. when, i bought mine i think they were $54.00 plus tax. or you can probably get some thru CZUSA. good luck...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Go to B-Square's web site and look at their air rifle rings and mounts. They make a lot of different ones in 11mm. Most air rifles have 11mm dovetails and can be used on the narrower dovetails on the non-American CZ's.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dovetails on the American are supposed to be 3/8ths but they are a weird fit. That is why you should look at the Brook's adapters. They fit very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
On CZ's website they say the 452 American uses a 3/8" dovetail and the rest of the 452's use the 11mm. For some reason mine measures right between the 2.

Probably tolerance stack up. 3/8" = 9.525 mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
For some wierd reason the dovetail rail on this particular rifle is wider than any other 452 I have measured but narrower than the 527's rails.

This particular rifle just has an oddball rail.

No, your rifle has had its dovetails milled to an out of specification dimension. I don't know what CZ uses for standard tolerances, but I am willing to bet a new rifle that it is not that much.

I would return the rifle to CZ-USA with a request for a new one. It's the only practical fix, as that receiver should have gone in the scrap bin at the factory. What you have was probably the first piece made after a setup change in the mill that was done incorrectly.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
HP Shooter,
I pretty much came to the same conclusion.

I think I would rather have the dovetail re-milled than send it back to CZ. The rifle will shoot 1" with decent 22 match ammo (even the inexpensive Federal Gold Medal Taret #711) and the wood is absolutely gorgeous. What are the odds of getting another rifle that has both pretty wood and shoots great?

It shouldnt be too expensive to have the rails re-cut. It seems it would be a simple matter od a couple passes on a mill. Am I mistaken in my simplicity?

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
William,
I have two CZ452s and each will routinely group 5 shots under 3/8" at 50 yds with $2/box ammo. Folks at rimfirecentral have indicated this is not unusual. One that won't do better than 1" is. I would contact CZ-USA and let them know your situation. I hear they have good service. I suspect you could keep your nice stock and swap for a new barrelled receiver. One of mine (the Varmint) has awesome wood and there is no way I'd send it in for replacement either.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waterfowler:
William,
I have two CZ452s and each will routinely group 5 shots under 3/8" at 50 yds with $2/box ammo. Folks at rimfirecentral have indicated this is not unusual. One that won't do better than 1" is.

When I mentioned 1" groups I was referring to 100 meters off of a bench rest, not 50 yards. I should have made that clearer. The CZ's are as accurate as my Anschutz 1700 and Win 52 sporter with a Lilja barrel. It is hard to complain about a $350 gun that shoots that well.

William Berger