THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Over the TOP service from Ahlmans. *updated***Pics Added***

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Over the TOP service from Ahlmans. *updated***Pics Added***
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
On Monday, just before noon, I dropped off my rifle stock at Ahlmans in Morristown, MN. I spoke with Carol and we went over some checkering designs. Discussed what the stock was going to be used for, (a utilitarian African plains game rifle) and what the best LPI and coverage would be for this particular piece. She had a very good understanding of what I wanted, I felt very comfortable leaving the stock with her.

I also asked her to put a rush on the stock, as I'm leaving for Africa Sept.30th and I'd like to have the stock back in my hands as soon as possible. It's not her fault that I didn't get it done earlier, but she didn't seem to mind helping me out. I also asked that they would put a final finish on the stock, as my final coat of finish had some flaws. She wasn't sure but thought it'd be done in a week or so.

So that was late monday morning and today (thursday afternoon) I got a call from Carol letting me know that it's 100% done. The checkering and the final finish! I am extremely happy with the service and I want to thank Carol and the management of Ahlmans for the extremely fast turnaround, which helps me immenseley. I was also happy that she was helpful in the design and style of the custom checkering pattern that I had.

Now, I haven't seen the stock yet, but she shipped it today, and promised that I will like it. She even went so far to say that some emplyees and customers had looked at it and commented on it.

Thanks agian to Ahlmans and Carol for over the top service. If anyone is considering them for checkering or any other gun work, I think you'll be happy with their customer service. Additionally, their reputation around here is second to none.

**Updated** I don't have time to send pics right now, but Carol NAILED IT! It turned out AWESOME! I couldn't be happier, I plan to send Ahlmans a thank you note. I will post up pics later tonight or this weekend. Dropped off the stock on Monday and got it back, (shipped), on Friday.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Do they have a website or anything with come pictures of there work? I will be in need of a checkering job in the future. After I find some that can profile and inlet my Luxus for my Mauser 98.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
http://www.ahlmans.com/

The website is not the greatest and the patterns offered on the website aren't what I was looking for, but she will do custom work. I printed off a pattern from this website, and had her further modify it. She charged me $220, which I thought was more than reasonable.

Several AR members have used Ahlmans and there are some pics posted in previous threads. Good luck.

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Wow, I really like that #10 pattern... I think its the first time I have actually felt my eyes kinda buldge when i seen a checkering pattern. Wish I could checker a stock that well...$220 is a more than fair deal as well if the job is good.

Now I just need to find someone reasonable who can profile my block of wood.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
she will checker any pattern you want or you can make one up. like any artist, she really doesn't know just how good she is.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any experience with their bluing?

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they have been bluing for years, but a couple years ago they redid the entire bluing area, now they have all vertical stainless tanks & a a humidity controlled glass ready room. they can do most any kind you want. my next projects for them is bluing a martini i'm making and checker a couple martini stocks from luxus turkish walnut. that is if i ever get the time and ambition together at the same time to finish them

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I'm really happy with how this looks, there's nothing that I would change with this checkering. This is only the second stock that I've done, certainly not up to par with most of the custom craftsmen that post here, but overall I'm good with it. Each stock is a learning experience, I can't wait to start my next project.

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Im truly jealous...Nice work there and I would be happy to own a piece of art like that.

I might steal some of your design I like it so much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brando:

I don't know what you define as "reasonable" but there are many guys on here who do profiling.

I have used Al Lind in the past. He is a member of the ACGG and does very very nice work.
Not only that, he is FAST. (And he is also a nice guy)

If you look at the top of his website, there is a category for Machine Inletting. Click on that, and away you go.

http://www.allindgunmaker.com/

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by Brando:

I don't know what you define as "reasonable" but there are many guys on here who do profiling.

I have used Al Lind in the past. He is a member of the ACGG and does very very nice work.
Not only that, he is FAST. (And he is also a nice guy)

If you look at the top of his website, there is a category for Machine Inletting. Click on that, and away you go.

http://www.allindgunmaker.com/

I just need someone that can take my block of Luxus walnut and inlet a barreled action. I dont need a one off custom gun maker. Trying to keep this rifle build with a military salary budget in mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you would have read the category for machine inletting more closely, you would have seen that is what he does.

Yes, he is a one off custom gun maker, but as you will notice if you read, for $125 he can take your blank and cut you a stock for your rifle, if he has a pattern. If you want it inletted into that blank, he can do that to, for $50.00 per hour.

You aren't going to find that kind of work for much cheaper anywhere. My suggestion to you is to call him up, or email him, and tell him exactly what you want, and see what he has to say. The worst he could say would be that he couldn't do what you wanted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just need someone that can take my block of Luxus walnut and inlet a barreled action. I dont need a one off custom gun maker. Trying to keep this rifle build with a military salary budget in mind.

Beware of "bargains", getting a semi-inlet turned by the best guys out there is inexpensive and worth every penny. If you want to save some money do the inletting yourself.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
If you would have read the category for machine inletting more closely, you would have seen that is what he does.

I did read his site, but I didnt see that. If thats the case then I know for a fact I will be using him to get my stock cut out. I never planned on a high end gun maker to finish the stock for me. I just want it profiled and a semi-inlet. I will do the barrel channel and the fine tuning myself. Then it will need a checkering job, then it can be finished and displayed in all its glory.