Find
Notify
Tools

Savage trigger work (not accu-trigger)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted
A buddy of mine bought a Savage in 7mm Win Mag a few weeks ago. He was having a rough time getting it on paper, let alone 'dialed-in'. He thought it was just more gun than he could handle (heh) and was flinching. It is light, and it does kick a bit, but he should be able to handle it no problem.

I looked at it and (in my opinion) the trigger is awful! It is way too heavy. I had to look to make sure the safety was not on. Can this be fixed by a competent gunsmith, or should he send it back to Savage? I don't know anything about Savage (except that it is NOT their new accu-trigger) so I told him I would ask in here.

He would rather take it somewhere local so he can use it this season.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks!

I had not even considered an aftermarket trigger (slap me with a clue, someone!)

I think that will work very well for him. I am handy enough to do the work for him.

I need to do something QUICK because he will be hunting on my land.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the timney triggers are wonderful in the savage (non accu trigger) both mine have them. easy to install, blows factory triggers away.

you want a reasonably priced tack driver...get a savage. you want fancy stuff high end stuff, get that too...just cost more.

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
The local gunsmith here on post got mine down to 3 1/2 lbs. So yes a good gunsmith can work on it. Before the trigger work it was at dang near 6lbs. I think Timney makes a drop in trigger replacement for the Savages now. I think I paid 70 dollars to get mine lightened up. I should of bought a timney oh well, don't get me wrong the trigger is fine now.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There are good basic instructions in Frank de Haas' book "Bolt Action Rifles" as to how to properly adjust the older Savage triggers.

The ones I have done have come out very crisp and at about 3 lbs or very slightly less. (I do NOT do them commercially...I don't do ANY triggers commercially these days. I don't need any gratuitous liability suits.)

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are not that hard to adjust. 20 minutes can make a 100% improvement.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was able to adjust my Savage trigger to a crisp, reliable 3 1/2 lb break by following the instructions on www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html . The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote