New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get clean Mauser actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm pretending to myself that I'm going to build a rifle on a Mauser action. Who carries decent actions at a decent price?

Besides "Don't do it; it'll be a mess and you'll never actually complete it", what advice does anybody have. I've read a couple of books and am prepared to invest in an action wrench, barrel vise, go/no go gauges, a reamer, etc.

I've actually got to do this to prove to myself that it's beyond me, and that I need to hire professionals to build on the LH Mauser action I hope to eventually buy.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
find a VZ-24...about $100...they're not hard to find...most gun shops have some.

Once there, you have the makings of what you need.....have a ball.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, add a metalworking lathe to the list.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I reccomend using a 1909 if you can find one. But that will require some looking on forums and such.

The VZ 24 also works well and is usually available from Sarco, Century, JG Sales, AIM, and several others. Usually for around $100. Pick up a Shoygun News and you will find several places that have them in various conditions.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is not the classifieds, but if you're interested I have a pretty nice complete South American 1909 Argentine action that I'll sell for $160 plus shipping to your FFL.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Go for it! I've had two VZ-24's barreled for me, and I did the remaining the metal work. I would have chambered the barrels as well, but I don't have a big enough lathe yet Frowner

The VZ-24 is a good action to use, and they are reasonably priced.

The smallest suitable lathe is a 12X36. It's a great tool that will allow you to do alot of neat projects and repairs.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
One thing you might consider is renting your reamer. Unless you think this is going to be a more than once project. You can get them from White Rock Tool and Die (816)454-0478

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
I'm pretending to myself that I'm going to build a rifle on a Mauser action. Who carries decent actions at a decent price?

Besides "Don't do it; it'll be a mess and you'll never actually complete it", what advice does anybody have. I've read a couple of books and am prepared to invest in an action wrench, barrel vise, go/no go gauges, a reamer, etc.

I've actually got to do this to prove to myself that it's beyond me, and that I need to hire professionals to build on the LH Mauser action I hope to eventually buy.

Thanks,

Steve

when you say "LH" were you referring to a left hand mauser action, or was that a typo and you meant a LR for Large Ring action. I ask becasue I haven't seen too many left handed mauser actions, especially military surplus ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping to have my gunsmith face the action and probably do the finish reaming, though I've got a lathe avaialable to me.

I'll keep the Argentine in mind and I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll start with something probably not quite as nice.

The LH is left-hand. Yes, there aren't very many of these. There are some custom conversions that gunsmiths have done and the new (very expensive) Mausers that can be machined left-handed, like the Granite Mountain Arms ($3K) and the Hein/Noreen actions ($2.5K). The new MRC PH action is at $500, and it has square-bridges and an inner-collar ring.

But I have lots of right-handed rifles, and wouldn't mind another one that I did some of the work on myself.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I found an already sporterized VZ-24 at a local shop for $229. Looks like an old-school 1960's hunting rifle.
It has the milsurp barrel slightly cutdown to 23". An aftermarket bolt handle and safety. It has an old school Weaver K2.5? and mounting holes for a reciever sight. The milsurp stock was cutdown, checkered and the metal hole in the stock was carefully plugged. Is has been rechambered for 8mm-06. Getting all that work done today would cost a small fortune. It is coming home with me on payday.
I comtemplated getting a 98/22 or a VZ-24 to do this type of project from scratch, but I like to eat from time to time.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote