THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Mauser experts, identify this action.
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a action online, was advertised as a mark x. It came in a old mark x box, but the serial number on the box does not match action.
Action looks new other than some scratches. It is stamped made in yugo on the bottom and has a serial number on the right side of the front bridge with a very small crest type stamp in front of the number. There is another number stamped on the tang that matches the number stamped on the bolt. there are NO other markings on the action!
It is standard length with a magnum bolt face. It has the mark x type trigger with the side safety. The bolt handle knob is flat on top and bottom with checkering on the bottom. The bottom metal has the release inside of the bow. It has not been sanatized by grinding ect.
I plan to barrel it to .458 win mag but would like to know what I have first. I dont have a picture host to upload pics. any help would be much appreciated

Posts: 16 | Location: kansas usa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Zastava action from a Harrington & Richardson ?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Zavodi Crvena Zastava, made in Yugoslavia. The MK X designation was an Interarms thing. That mark you see should be ZCZ. I have a Mannlicher stock for that for sale in the classifieds for 150.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The stamp is a triangle with two legs comming from one side that form a baloon shape. There is somthing inside the triangle and balloon, but I cant tell what it is even with magnification. This is a comercial action, also tapped for peep sight.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deuceman71:
The stamp is a triangle with two legs comming from one side that form a baloon shape. There is somthing inside the triangle and balloon, but I cant tell what it is even with magnification. This is a comercial action, also tapped for peep sight.

See DPCD's post.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm sure no expert but it sure sounds like the Zastava I had a while back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/dpcd67/
Here you will see a copy of the original paperwork that came with Mk10 actions. A picture of the proof mark would be good.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That is the exact same stamp in the first pic. So this is basically the same as a MK 10 with no markings from the factory? Is this a disirable action that would be good for a 458 win mag? Any idea on age or history? Sorry for all the question but I just like to know the history of classics like this. I got it for 250.00 and I dont think it has ever been used, is that a good price? THANKS ALL!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got it for 250.00 and I dont think it has ever been used, is that a good price? THANKS ALL!

That is a decent price. Every once in a while I pick up a full MKX for around $300 then sell off the parts. As far as I know the NO MKX on the side will not increase the value. It is a fine action for the 458.

Since the release is in the bow the guard is the early style. If the safety locks the bolt it is an early style. If not then later. I have when the changed written someplace but can't remember off the top of my head.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
deuceman
It does have the factory markings. What are missing, are the importer markings. The inside the bow floor plate release suggests that it is an early model. Since it has no importer markings, it may have been purchased in Europe and brought over by an individual. I don't think that was all that uncommon or difficult in the pre fanatical gun control era. I would guess the metallurgy is fine, you have the action in hand and can judge whether the fit and finish are good. The early cz's I have seen are just fine for a hunting rifle, but would benefit from hand polishing of the sometimes over buffed surface.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerR:
The early cz's I have seen are just fine for a hunting rifle, but would benefit from hand polishing of the sometimes over buffed surface.

Roger

These are NOT CZ's. They are ZCZ's, aka Zastava, different companies, different countries. Logo may look the same to the uninitiated but they are not.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote