THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I modify 1903 Springfield follower?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Wondering out loud if there is any downside to filing or grinding a ramp on the follower so that if I were in a hurry I can drop a cartridge into the rifle and close the bolt.
As it is you must depress a cartridge into the magazine to do so.
I made the same modification on several 96 Mausers and it works great, just want to make sure I'm not overlooking the obvious on the Springfield?
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No downside.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seen it done on many military sporters.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you need to modify the extractor so it will snap over the case rim when the bolt is pushed forward. Have you tried this yet?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Springfields are made to do that; remember the magazine cut off. Single load until they enemy charges, then magazine fire.
Mauser with claw extractors are never made for that, in a military rifle.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Almost all of mine, 98, 03, 17, 38 are so ground and have worked just fine since the 60s.

You will likely have issues with the extractor not slipping into place in the cartridges groove, unless you push the cartridge down into, and feed from the magazine.
That too can be remedied, but that is another subject in itself.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Please read my post; Springfields are designed to allow cartridges to be placed directly into the chamber. Otherwise, the magazine cut off would not work.
I have never had one that would not allow this. The extractor needs no grinding.
Mauser are not.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and ground a ramp on the follower this evening.
Thanks everyone, I was sure it was the right thing to do as it has worked before for me on 96 Mausers but thought I would check with the collective intelligence here.
The modified follower works perfectly.
Yes dpcd you are correct the Springfield is set up to accept a cartridge from the magazine or just dropping it in, no problems.
Thanks all.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote