Find
Notify
Tools

Worse than gun control in CA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...is car control. thought you guys would get a kick out of this...my car registration is due and it was the on year of the every other year smog test requirement.

But there is a new part of the test this year. They take your gas cap off and place on to a high tech vacuum coupling device (by the way there are about 10 different adapters depending on the gas cap type) and check with a computer driven device to make sure that your cap gas seal meets state specifications...

Gotta luv it here...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike,

If you run a tank of high-test through the engine and test with hi-test gasoline, you have a much lower chance of flunking the NOX test.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My 85 Land Cruiser passed with flying colors...

I was just amazed at the gas cap thing

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mike, ever thought about Nevada? Or Texas?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t know where you’ve been or where you have been getting your cars smog checked but everytime I have had it done they stick the thing in the tank neck.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but ain't the air nice and clean? On my last trip to the Central Valley of Kalifornia I THINK I saw Bakersfield. Roll Eyes Wink

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Rick my lad,

This was new high tech attached to the gas cap cover pnumatic suckmajiggy thing...you should have seen the vacuum seal it created...I was considering proposing marriage to it

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Well, yeah...but I don’t take my car into the places in San Francisco or West Hollywood! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im glad I Have 1 Cummins diesel truck. My other work truck is a 81 Chevy. Just got poped for Idaho plates in Ca . Frickin Cop! SOB threatened to impound my truck. What the hell crap is this? Is Calif still in america or is it a seperate communist state now?

Now I have to try and get this chevy smogged and Ca plates. Got to put all the smog equipment back on. Hope it pases,,, Mad Mad Mad

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
GSP,

I think its called CVC 6700

6700. (a) Except as provided in Section 6700.2, the owner of any vehicle of a type otherwise subject to registration under this code, other than a commercial vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction, may operate the vehicle in this state until gainful employment is accepted in this state or until residency is established in this state, whichever occurs first, if the vehicle displays valid license plates and has a valid registration issued to the owner, and the owner was a resident of that state at the time of issuance. Application to register the vehicle shall be made within 20 days after gainful employment is accepted in this state or residency is established in this state.

(b) A nonresident owner of a vehicle, otherwise exempt from registration pursuant to this section or Section 6700.2, may operate or permit operation of the vehicle in this state without registering the vehicle in this state if the vehicle is registered in the place of residence of the owner and displays upon it valid license plates issued by that place. This exemption does not apply if the nonresident owner rents, leases, lends, or otherwise furnishes the vehicle to a California resident for regular use on the highways of this state, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 4000.4.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Im glad I Have 1 Cummins diesel truck. My other work truck is a 81 Chevy. Just got poped for Idaho plates in Ca . Frickin Cop! SOB threatened to impound my truck. What the hell crap is this? Is Calif still in america or is it a seperate communist state now?

Now I have to try and get this chevy smogged and Ca plates. Got to put all the smog equipment back on. Hope it pases,,, Mad Mad Mad

Put California plates on your vehicle and live in another state and see how fast they pop you so they can get the registration fees. All states do this, some more actively than others, but they all want those registration/licensing fees each year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And the Moral of this story is..............

Don't Steal.....The Government doesn't like compitition!

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick You got that right. Met a guy bird hunting that just moved to Idaho and Had Ca plates. He said a Emmett cop realy harassed him , wanted to know what a californian was doing in his town...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does this have to do with gunsmithing? thumbdown

Doug

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
it has to do with lots of the guys that hangout here are from CA or from TX and the gun laws are which can affect gunsmithing very widely state by state...an CA has some of the silliest...and so are som eof our car laws...

and if you find it uninteresting you need not read any further...nor bother to reply...

hugs and kisses

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention getting popped for out of state plates.

Prior to the new law which moves the smog-exempt date one year forward evey year, my 74 Dodge wore New Mexico plates for about 30 years. Never got hassled for it.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're equating vehicle registration and/or regulations with gun control? Must be some kind of governmental plot to force us to register firearms. Seriously, you elected these legislators, do something about it in the next election. And since this is a public forum I restate my original question, what does this have to do with gunsmithing?

Doug

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with gunsmithing at all...my friends hang out here...and seven of them saw it fit to dialogue about it

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the forums have moderators and if they think something is out of place or needs to be moved elsewhere they are not shy about doing so.

One of the great things I’ve found is that you don’t have to read anything on here you don’t want to! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You poor ole boys from the Left-hand state of kalifornia. Currently live in Indiana and they DO NOT have ANY TYPE of vehicle inspection. Only thing about this state I like.... Course when I lived in Louisiana all I did was take the care (every 4 yrs) down to the local garage, buy cousin Jerry a beer and get my sticker put on....life is tough.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember driving through Indiana one time, but I didn’t know that people actually moved there on purpose! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Mike--if you think they don't do it in Tx, you're wrong. When that dirty Toyota that hauled you and your hogs around gets inspected, it gets the same test on the gas tank. But, then, we don't have a state income tax.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moved from Kali to Idaho in 1970. Changed the plates on the vehicles as soon as possible.
Told everybody that I was from Ohio. Joined right in cussing those damn Kalifornians that are moving up here!
Now I'm waiting for one of them to buy my 40 ac. at the end of the road so I move back to civilization.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMJ:
Moved from Kali to Idaho in 1970. Changed the plates on the vehicles as soon as possible.
Told everybody that I was from Ohio. Joined right in cussing those damn Kalifornians that are moving up here!
Now I'm waiting for one of them to buy my 40 ac. at the end of the road so I move back to civilization.

Most of the pan handle in Idaho is like southern Oregon...everyone there came from California. My folks retired to Gold Hill, Oregon about 25 years ago and I think it took my mom all of about a week to start talking about “all the damned Californians†moving there and ruining everything! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 89 the boy took my '72 T bird to Pismo Beach on CO tags, I kept sending the renewal stickers each year. He got by with it til sometime in the 3rd or 4th year when he got mouthy to the CP after getting pulled over for running it 120 with booze on his breath.

Didn't take them long to send certified letters to me about it. The whole idea of him taking it out there in first place was to sell it. He finally did.

I used to truck all over the state. We'd sit in terminals and go over each others maps marking where the scales and inspection pits were. In 6 yrs, I never once got pulled into one of those pits just because of the other truckers advice.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
In 89 the boy took my '72 T bird to Pismo Beach on CO tags, I kept sending the renewal stickers each year. He got by with it til sometime in the 3rd or 4th year when he got mouthy to the CP after getting pulled over for running it 120 with booze on his breath.

Didn't take them long to send certified letters to me about it. The whole idea of him taking it out there in first place was to sell it. He finally did.

I used to truck all over the state. We'd sit in terminals and go over each others maps marking where the scales and inspection pits were. In 6 yrs, I never once got pulled into one of those pits just because of the other truckers advice.

George

I’d sure like to hear how you got a big rig from the San Fernando Valley and into the San Juaquin valley without hitting a scale station along the way??????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 years ago there was a big thing about "Ozone action days" in my county in Ohio, I filed a complaint about the Air National Gaurd doing touch and go practice on these days. They no longer do it on these days, and since then we have only had 1 Ozone action day! can you imagine?
There was also talk about manditory vehicle inspection for smog, I threatened the instigating Officials with a class action law suite, to shut down the Air Port, The rail system and questioned about how many dollars the
Ohio Turnpike commission would pay in. Have heard no more about it. Thats kind of strange don't you think?
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
6700. (a) Except as provided in Section 6700.2, the owner of any vehicle of a type otherwise subject to registration under this code, other than a commercial vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction

There's a little key for ya right there!

Put your vehicle in the name of a corporation, or company.. and when a cop pulls you over to give you crap about it, state it is a company vehicle... I have been doing this since 1980....

None of my vehicles are in my name, they are "company vehicles"....no one says the company has to be doing business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week... or even does enough to have to file taxes each year....

It goes a long way in shutting up a cop, who has an attitude problem and is just trying to get his monthly ticket quota in.....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you all forgot that its the gas tax and registration fees that pays to build the roads that you all drive those cars on.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote