New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this 1917 part?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What was the purpose of this part and who made it?
Thanks,
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some device attached to the bolt sleeve. Hard to tell what the maker had in mind...maybe easier disassembly?...gas shield? block against firing pin faliure?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like something my wife wishes I had...

After what I posted above I hate to use the term "recock", but could it function as does an '03, Krag, or Mex cocking piece in case of a dud round?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion would be to note the knurling that would not be required with a gas shield.

So UNLESS the maker has converted or improvised with a part form something else that already had the knurling...

I'd think that it is some sort of fxiture to allow the gun to be re-cocked without working the bolt?

Maybe the owner decided that what he culd do with his '03 Sprigfield he wanted to do with his Model 1917 in 30-06?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the remains of a cocking piece tang sight that gave a longer sighting radius (and could also blind you).
As it attached to the bolt sleeve there is no way it could used to recock the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artshaw:
Looks like the remains of a cocking piece tang sight that gave a longer sighting radius (and could also blind you).
As it attached to the bolt sleeve there is no way it could used to recock the rifle.

That's what I thought too for a bolt peep, but there are no other holes in it other than the 3 set screws.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Looks like something my wife wishes I had...

After what I posted above I hate to use the term "recock", but could it function as does an '03, Krag, or Mex cocking piece in case of a dud round?

No it is on the shroud not the cocking piece. So it can't aid in cocking.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he didn't like exposing his cocking piece.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course, you are right DON...when I look again it cannot be used for cocking. Doh!

But I'll plead that I'm not the only one "guilty" of that error!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
Maybe he didn't like exposing his cocking piece.

My guess as well.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, It is a gas shield made for the 1917 Enfield and 1914 bolt shrouds. The knurling serves no purpose other than to help you twist the cocking piece into position if it came off the notch in the bolt (ie, in the fired position with the bolt out of the rifle) I don't remember who made them but they were sold in the 60s, along with Numrich's cock on opening kit; both solutions to non-existent problems.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Mud shield for trench warfare

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD wins the cigar.

It is a Clark eye/gas shield for the 1917.

May 1950 American Rifleman

June 1950 American Rifleman. Now on sale!

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thaine:
DPCD wins the cigar.

The knowledge and resources of our forum's members amazes me.

One question: why is the one in the OP so much longer than the one in the add?

And, would those three little screws really hold it in place during a "major failure"?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Thaine:
DPCD wins the cigar.

The knowledge and resources of our forum's members amazes me.

One question: why is the one in the OP so much longer than the one in the add?

And, would those three little screws really hold it in place during a "major failure"?

That's why I looked here first.
Thanks guys!
Now how to you price something like this?
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you should be able to get at least 4 bucks for it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Well, you should be able to get at least 4 bucks for it.

Big Grin

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It only is designed to, and only needs to, shield your eyes from escaping gas. the firing pin will bottom out on the cocking piece and will be stopped. Unless it breaks, then all bets are off At least it is far superior to the 03 Springfield in this regard. If it breaks and is propelled rearward from gas pressure, your eye will eat it.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote