Find
Notify
Tools

mauser work
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
Have a commercial mauser. Want to have a new safety bolt handle and trigger done. What does it mean when someone says detail polished? Also installing a 1909 bottom metal unit. Is it ok as is or does it neewins err straddle floor plate? After it will have a new barrel installed then sights.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1909 bottoms don't need anything; they are fine as is and will fit your action but the box length might not match. Detail polishing? It can mean anything but usually involves hand polishing outside and inside; all surfaces.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
You and I have spoken about the barrel work. It'll be 9.3x62.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that will feed perfectly out of the 09 mag box, what needs to be checked is the length inside your receiver, which is possibly longer than a military standard 98.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Can it be dealt with if the lengthened off?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can it be dealt with if the lengthened off?

Yep. No big deal. As I said if it just a touch short then hit the front wall with a file. Need a little more then the front wall is simply cut out and moved forward that "might" require a little feed ramp work.

While the 1909 box is shorter than what a normal 06 box is they have been used for 06 length cases for years. Unless you plan on seating your 9.3 out you should be fine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, what Ramrod said; child's play.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
while it is correct that the 1909 doesn't need much, it certainly benefits in the looks department from some careful reshaping of the trigger guard portion of the unit, and also looks a bit classier with the addition of the straddle floorplate. Take a look at a photo of one reworked by James Anderson to get an idea for how you might want to proceed.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
it certainly benefits in the looks department from some careful reshaping of the trigger guard portion of the unit, and also looks a bit classier with the addition of the straddle floorplate

You just took it from function to form. Wink tu2

Those changes do add class to the project.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I assume that is the unit offered by Jim Wisner.
Reshaping the trigger guard how?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]Reshaping the trigger guard how?[/QUOTE]
The guard was a military rifle. Heavy and stout. Remove a little metal thin the edges with flats tapering to the edge. Just make it look more modern commercial vs 1909 Military.

Was getting ready to go pull mine to take a picture. Then it hit me. I sold my 1909. killpc

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The stock 1909 needs nothing to make it prettier; it is perfect as is. They are talking about making it thinner, width wise. And instead of flat, round it a bit on the bottom. Maybe taper it front to rear; there a lot of things you can do to them. Useless work; it is fine as is. To me. And it definitely don't need no straddle plate. Another solution to a non problem. I know, some eyes see things differently. I do admit I have re-shaped them but not lately (meaning in the last 25 years) as I found that original Mauser sporters are full size.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
many of lifes disappointments come from not realizing how close one was to success.
You cannot know how you would like your custom gun to be until you have seen all that is available so that you can make your choices. So look at many other bottom metal units on different custom guns, and see if you want to leave it stock, or if you want to dress it up.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Useless work; it is fine as is. To me. And it definitely don't need no straddle plate.

Yep form over function. I doubt I would have paid someone to alter my 1909. Only cost of my labor at the time was it kept me off the couch. As to the straddle plate. I know many love them. I wouldn't fool with it. Then again I wouldn't would sweat it if the rifle already had one. Simply a matter of personal taste.

I do agree with lindy2 if in doubt as to what you want. Check pictures look at shops until you are sure. Much cheaper and easier to do it on the build than kick yourself every time you pull it out to use it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save some time for DSC in January. There will be a bunch there at Gun Maker's ROw and ACGG

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5507 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The stock 1909 needs nothing to make it prettier; it is perfect as is. They are talking about making it thinner, width wise. And instead of flat, round it a bit on the bottom. Maybe taper it front to rear; there a lot of things you can do to them. Useless work; it is fine as is. To me. And it definitely don't need no straddle plate. Another solution to a non problem. I know, some eyes see things differently. I do admit I have re-shaped them but not lately (meaning in the last 25 years) as I found that original Mauser sporters are full size.

tu2 I agree. Only thing I think the 1909 guard needs is a knurled release buton. Otherwise, it's fine as is!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote