New
Find
Notify
Tools

the Rem 7400 Again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some time ago I mentioned that I was having difficulties with a Rem 7400 in .308.

I had a case head fail ... it split across the face of the base on one side. Gun would not extract after that. Extraction had been getting "iffy" before that however.

After cleaning up the bbl's chamber on a lathe and polishing it, cleaning the gas system, and replacing the extractor, the gas ball, and the recoil spring the rifle now extracts.

Unfortunately, it does not eject the spent properly ... stays in the bolt face. Have only fired test rounds with one in a magazine so far.

I assume this could mean a couple of things:

1) New recoil spring is too stiff.

2) Ejector is bad.

3) Ejector spring is bad.

What are the other possibilities and how do I test a Remington ejector?

This fella might not be worth the trouble ... but it shoots really well when it works. Would love to get it fixed!

Thanks for your input.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all make sure the action is coming back far enough to eject a case. Does the bolt try to strip a round from the magazine while still holding on to the empty case?

You test the ejector by feel. Place an empty case under the extractor and see how much tension is present by how hard you have to hold the cartridge in place. The ejector should move smoothly and without any bind.

You should have to exert a fair amound of pressure against the case to keep it against the bolt face. With an EMPTY case in the chamber, pull the bolt back and watch to see what happens to the empty case. Does the case fly out, or just roll out? Does it strike any part of the ejection port on it's way out?

It's tough to make a diagnosis without having the actual gun in hand. What did you do with the gas check ball?

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm,

After clearing the gas port working progressively up to the right sized number drill, I simply replaced the gas check ball with a new one. I thoroughly cleaned the area before doing that.

Case just rolls out ... no evidence of marks for hitting the ejection port.

The gun does try to strip the next round out of the magazine.

Appreciate your thoughts on the problem!

It ain't a pretty one, but it sure has been handy around the farm. Has put 5 deer in the freezer since I bought it used 5 years ago.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the bolt is trying to strip a round from the magazine then it's getting enough gas. Problem sounds more like an ejector spring. The ejector needs sufficient spring tension to eject the case. Replace the ejector spring and see what happens. At this point it's just a matter of working through the operational sequence until you isolate the problem. Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the correct procedure for removing the ejector and spring in this rifle? (Only reason I haven't done that yet.)

Thanks!

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull the bolt, knock out the retaining pin and remove the ejector and it's spring. Depending on how dirty it is, you might have take a round, tapered toothpick and thread it into the ejector spring to help remove it. Use a "Q" tip and solvent to clean out the hole before replacing it. Make sure the ejector plunger moves smoothly and freely in and out of it's hole before bolting it all back together.

When you replaced the little gas orifice ball, did you clean up the gas port through the barrel first? If you didn't, you might want to see if you can hand feed a #35 (.110) drill bit through the port to clean out any built up garbage. When you replace the screw, besure to stake it in place so that it won't back out and cause you problems.

Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm,

I did clean out the port when I replaced the ball. Will stake the screw. Is it all the way down when it is installed?

You have been very, very kind! Thank you.

Only one more small question:

How do you "pull the bolt" on this rifle?

Thanks,

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might be able to access and remove the ejector retaining pin by moving the bolt assy as far forward as the bolt's handle will let you. If not, then proceed with caution.

Pull the barrel. Position the bolt and the ejection port cover so that the bolt handle retaining pin is aligned with the little cut out on the cover. With the appropriate punch, drive the bolt handle retaining pin from the top and remove the handle to the right.

Slide the bolt, ejection port cover, and operating arm assembly out through the front of the receiver. Pay attention to how the ejection port cover fits. Becareful not to lose the 2 small bolt cam pins. Slip the bolt from the saddle and locate and remove the ejector pin, ejector plunger and it's spring.

That will be $35.00 Big Grin Just kidding! Good luck...

Almost forgot. The gas orifice ball's screw should be seated just tight enough to hold it in place so it cannot move and so gas cannot escape around it. If the ball should become loose and break it's seal with the gas port access hole, then the rifle will begin to short stroke and misfeed. Stake the retaining screw in place so it can't back out on it's own. No Loc-tite please!