Find
Notify
Tools

new bolt handle finished
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted
Here's teh new bolt handle for my 7x57 classic.
I posted a solid model of it a week ago and had the time to whip it out yesterday. I have been very spoiled by CNC's. I took me a while to set all my tools and grind the form tools for the radii, but it came out GREAT!
[URL= ]bolt handle[/URL]
[URL= ]shot 2[/URL]

Now I have to cut the old one off and get this puppy TIG'ed on.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Very interesting form. I like the design. How long will it hang down in a 90 degree weld?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Do you plan on marketing them?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
That is going to be absolutely goregous! Well done.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the compliments.
333_OKH: right now its about .2 long. I will set it's length to place the bottom of the ball even with the bottom metal where the trigger pierces through.
Craigster: I wasn't planning on marketing the design, but its a CAD model with dims so I could send it out to a CNC house easily enough. Doing them as one-offs on a manual machine would get tedious in a hurry. The ball was roughed out as angles and then hand filed in using a radius gage as a guide.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am hoping for half of the ball to be lower than the bottom of the bottom metal.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I am seaking knowledge through expirence here, not trying to be agumentative:

The photos I have of pre-war mausers show the bottom of the ball about even with the the bottem metal. I was under the impression that if it were much lower it would smack the knuckle of the trigger finger under recoil.
I notice that this is how Rugers and Remingtons are set up as well.

I am always open to suggestions for a "better way". Why do you want the ball lower? I have the shank length available now to set it up like this, but I thought it would be too low based on my studies.

Just to be clear, you'd rather see it this way, correct?
[URL= ]ball to bottom metal[/URL]
[URL= ]handel angle[/URL]

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The form is great, you should think about marketing it

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Rusty that's an attractive, and different, look. I like it.

Here's a photo of two rifles with differing bolt handle lengths. The top one looks right to me, and the bolt handle on bottom rifle looks a bit short for my tastes. Both are good looking rifles though.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am seaking knowledge through expirence here, not trying to be agumentative:

Interesting? I simply was stating what I prefer such as seen on a few original Mausers I got to handle this weekend. I did not realize anything I said was argumentative, at all!

Below is what I was saying and "my preference." Everyone else can do as they wish! I do however like your design.

I originally thought these were level but have found out differently lately. Both of these rifles were confirmed to be lower than the metal to wood line, and I like it.

ForrestB do you have more shots of that top rifle? I like the bolt placement and would like to see other pictures of that, but I really like the period English stock with upswept forend piece.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
LOL, 333_OKH,
You've missinturpreted me my good man. Smiler I have been accused of being argumentative in the past when my opinions differ from the "master". Especially when I want a "why?" answered; I don't take, "because I said so" very well. That's why I didn't go into the military, yes they would have broken me of it, but I didn't feel the daily asskicking would be worth it.

As this is my first full build and I will be seeking the advice of the Masters on AR, I just didn't want to be labled as argumentative from the word GO.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Rusty you inspired me. This is my rendition using an Oberndorf bolt as a model & adding my own twist. I tried to retain more of the original pear shape to the knob because i like that shape so much. I don't have cnc so I just used my manual lathe & German milling machines ( files )

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
333_OKH, that's a page from a book and the only picture of that rifle. https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/486105894

Doug, that's a nice looking handle. I prefer the pear shape too. The knobs on the two rifles in the photo have very round knobs and they just don't look right to me.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Very nice shape Doug, I like the concave crown over the ball.

ForrestB, thanks for the eye candy on the other post. Do you have a specific dimension that you work to for placing the ball off to the side of the trigger guard?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL, 333_OKH,

Rusty--

Now I understand and I also always hated the "because I said so" type of answers. I like to have just a small piece of the bolt available below the woodline when I need to do fast shooting. This has been my preference in rifles for the brush and on boars. I also like the old Springfield 1903 handles just because they were out from the wood enough to really work for me.

When the new handle goes on my custom [in progress] it will have about half of the ball below the woodline and the handle will lie in the front 1/3 of the gaurd bow.

P.S. thanks ForrestB, I appreciate it. Although the rifle o nthe left is only about 1/3 below the woodline this is what I am talking about.