New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

If you can find the book "Do IT Yourself Gunsmithing" by Jim Carmichel he has a part on metalsmithing and devotes three chapters on styling TG, installing a shotgun type TG on a rifle and installing double set triggers. It has a photo step by step directions with about a dozen pic for each alteration.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on your definition of "fortune". It is relative for everyone, depending on several things including how much they have to spend and how badly they want soemthing. NECG and Brownell's has them. Wholesale at the Big B is about $138. A good Kepplinger costs about $107, so it is not that much more. The double trigger job does require some work to get them going as well. But only you the owner can determine if it is a fortune or bargain. If you like them, then it is abargain, if you don't, it costs too much. One of those kinds of things. It is like my neighbor trying to get me to have the inside of my house painted today. I told him it cost too much. To him it was cheap, but to me, I looked at it as costing as much as a couple of pieces of wood. I want a green living room and maroon dining room and bedroom, but I would buy a couple of pieces of English before I did that. I am just glad we have so many choices. It is pretty easy for us to have our rifles the way we want them. My foriegn friends don't have our choices, and it costs much more if they can get something.

This turned out to be a very long way to say "Brownell's".

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the NECG triggers for just under $200 somewhere and that was a "fortune". The Kepplinger for $107 however, is more reasonable. I've not yet built one with a double trigger and am wanting to try. Who sells the Kepplinger?
Thanks

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THe KEpplinger is a single trigger for a M98 sold by The Big B. I was jsut usong the price as a reference. Sorry for the confusion. I do prefer the Kepplinger to the Timney

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can I get a double trigger for a mauser without paying a fortune for a NECG?

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like them on double trigger rifles, and have one so fitted. Of course, I like double triggers a lot. Personally, I really don't like a single trigger in a shotgun trigger guard. There is an aweful lot of space and only one trigger hanging down. To my eye, it does not flow very well at all. But it is purely a personal thing. If you like it, do it. Or better yet, add double triggers as well

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of 1909 Argies that I have done with files only (lose the grinder). I apologize for the poor lighting.

Clemson

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics. After hogging them out with a grinder, I finished up with a file and They look ok. I'd like to figure out how to bevel the edges more preciseley. Has any one used an old shotgun style trigger guard on a mauser something like this: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8788&title=CUSTOM+TRIGGERGUARD#specs
I thought that might be cool.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I've got one of the ones numrich was offering, i'll take some pics tonight
jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote