New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Kurtz Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a custom rifle this weekend. It appears to be an original Orberndorf Kurtz barrelled action in 250-3000. It has a solid left sidewall. It still has the roll stamp on the front receiver ring, the roll stamp on the left sidewall in proper position the crests and BU markings. The barrel looks like it came out of the Speed Book. These are rare as hens teeth. How would one know for sure?????

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there was one at the Tulsa show on a table with a bunch of Clayton Nelson rifles. I am not an expert on them, but it was a short action 98 with a 250-3000 barrel and it did not appear to have been shortened. I believe this one had a thumb cut however.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
There is some extensive testing that can be done to determine if it is genuine. Fortunately for you, I know how to do the testing and will do it an no cost. It does however take approximately 20 years. Send the rifle to ...........

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gasgunner, that is the one. It does not have a thumb cut! I have had it apart and can find no weld lines. I bought it assuming it was a 98 that had been shortened to Kurtz. I do not think so now. It is a real sweet rifle. When he wants to, Clayton Nelson can really make some nice stuff. How rare is a solid left wall Kurtz action?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Would love to see some pics! If you see me some, I'll host them for you.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1, will do later today. The rifle she be sweet!

square shooter

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sent it to me & I will authenicate it for you at no cost.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of this info may help.

Mauser Article

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There was also a single square bridge Kurz rifle at the Tulsa show, caliber 6.5x54.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
Congratulations, that is a fine rifle, and I thought quite a bargain at the price he had on it. You must have bought it late in the show as I looked at it sunday afternoon. If you were able to get him to come off his price a little then you really got a good buy. It it a Clayton Nelson stock? I don't recall if the tag said it was or not.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IB404, Chuck Grace called me this morning about something else and we got to talking. I knew he talked to Clayton Nelson and asked him if he knew anything about the rifle. Chuck said that if it was the 250/3000 he sold at the Tulsa show this last weekend it was a true Kurtz action. And he did have a table with several of Clayton's guns on it. He had it apart in his shop to burn the lettering on the gun and looked it over pretty good. Hope this helps,

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lb,
I think one can swab the acion with a q-tip with gasoline on it and that will show up any weld and/or cracks in steel....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. This is the first solid left side wall Mauser action I had ever seen and to find it in a caliber I love is amasing. I traded Garr out of it late Sunday afternoon along with another rifle I liked. I am still on call but I will take some pictures of it and post it for all to enjoy. I also got with the trade a pre-64 model 70 custom by Nelson with the quater rib barrel and a wedding band ring around the barrel. It needed to be blued so it is off for a rust blue job. I'll post some pictures when it gets back.

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish you would have come by our tables at 15C on the end cap. I would have loved to talk about guns and stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
lb404,
Congratulations, that is a fine rifle, and I thought quite a bargain at the price he had on it. You must have bought it late in the show as I looked at it sunday afternoon. If you were able to get him to come off his price a little then you really got a good buy. It it a Clayton Nelson stock? I don't recall if the tag said it was or not.

John

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you remember how much they wanted for it? I missed that one. I was really looking for the guy that had an import rifle stocked by I think Tradewinds. He was at the fall show and had two Kurtz rifles. A bit over priced though.
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
There was also a single square bridge Kurz rifle at the Tulsa show, caliber 6.5x54.

square shooter

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
$4K, single square bridge, thumb cut, all the markings and stipling, original stock & barrel, looked refinished but professionally done, was in the center of the upper section on a table with lots of express style rifles.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you see the ZG 47 custom rifle at Nelsons table? I was really tempted but my good sense took over and I left it behind.
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
$4K, single square bridge, thumb cut, all the markings and stipling, original stock & barrel, looked refinished but professionally done, was in the center of the upper section on a table with lots of express style rifles.

square shooter

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw the Nelson ZG rebarreled in 375. There was also a Parker Hale built on a ZG action for $695. Lots of nice guns at that show.