Find
Notify
Tools

Relining a .22 rifle barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I have an old Winchester Model 1906 pump that has seen better days. Stock was "refinished" years ago. The exterior metal has light freckling but is otherwise in reasonable condition. But the bore is dark and I have cleaned it using about every option I could think of. I guess I need to go out and shoot it seriously to see how it performs, but the thought occurred to me to have it lined.
Googling around on the subject, the process appears relatively straightforward: drill out the original barrel with a piloted drill bit; chamber the liner breech; clean barrel and liner with solvent; plug chamber; coat liner and barrel with slow-hardening epoxy and slide in from muzzle until breech end contacts breech face and wipe up any epoxy; close action and lightly tap muzzle end to ensure full contact with breech face.
And while this can apparently be done with hand tools by someone with sound metalworking fundamentals, it is still better done in a shop with a lathe and by someone who can properly chamber the liner and cut a perfect crown.
Brownells shows the Redman liner for $40.
Has anyone not a gunsmith tried this? How did it work out? What turned out to be the hardest part?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Drilling the barrel was the hardest part. Took forever. I did it with a hand drill instead of on the lathe, so I was crouched there vise-level pushing the drill for what felt like forever. I would set up vertically instead of horizontally next time, though I'd need to stand on a ladder. I silver-soldered the Brownells piloted drill on a long steel round and I was applying too much pressure as I got impatient because the solder let go twice and I had to resolder. Try to go slow (don't push the drill to hard) and don't turn the drill too fast either (cutting speed).

I pulled the barrel off the receiver to do all the operations. And I chambered/crowned after the liner was glued in (with green loctite, 609). I did both of those on the lathe. I also had to cut relief cuts for the extractors, which I couldn't have done with the barrel attached (it was a Remington 12c pump).

The accuracy improved incredibly. Went from 10-12 inch groups at 25 yds to 1 inch groups. I used the Redman liner.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill
I have done a number of the older Winchester pumps and Remington, the only hard part is boring the barrel out for the liner. Use a piloted drill available from Brownells. If you do not have a lathe a slow speed drill will work fine, I did a couple that way until I got a lathe. The direction sheet from Brownells covers it very well.
I used acraglas the original thin stuff not the gel. Chambering is fairly straight forward and can be done with out a lathe (see instruction sheet)
I also take a couple of photos of the extractor cuts so I get the right when going back together. Good luck on the project

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best to use a lathe if you have access to one - but can be done with a hand drill. Use a good cutting oil! Usually loctite liner in but can be epoxied - for me I fit, chamber and crown as I would a new barrel.

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. This is on the list, but not up at the top yet.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Bucky Smith in Paducah.. north of you an hour or so.... Quality Custom Firearms...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote