THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small; "table top" lathes (and maybe a mill).
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, guys, guys ...

I do not want to make bullets. There are m,any good bullets available for the buying. I am completely smitten by North Fork bullets anyway.

I have a bushel basket of 5C collets (ok two pecks).

I do not have the money for a shop right now, so the Lagun is in storage.

I do want to cut some relief grooves in some earlier model Barnes monolithic bullets that I was given.

I do want to convert some 8x57 Mauser brass to 8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 9x56 Mannlicher Schoenauer and 9.5x56/57 Mannlicher Schoenauer brass dimensions.

A Taiwanese Enco 12x36" appealed to me because I can have a solid bench built and installed in my abode (a carpenter owes me a favor). Then I could flip the switches for 110 volt single phase, turn off any extraneous appliances in the house, do some work with brass and bronze, and even thread a barrel or true an action at a very slow pace (the only pace my illness allows, anyway).

A board member here sold me a little bench-top hobby lathe for a very fair price today. It should work just fine for working on brass and other small parts. It will not be super accurate, but it will be accurate enough for what I will use it for.

I think I will go over to the Practical Machinist forum and do some lurking.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The one I had for sale has already bbeen taken home, too. The local buyer showed up here yesterday with some guys burly enough to move pianos single handedly, I suspect.

Anyway, even though the hydraulic unit on their "goose-neck cherry-picker" was bad and wouldn't lift, they hustled it out of my shop and to their waiting trailer with no problems.

You wouldn't have needed a bench for it, Lawndart...it came with shelved & doored steel stands, adjustable feet for the stands, backsplash plate, oil/chip/drip pan, the whole nine yards.

BTW...he won't be selling the rubber-flex set-up. He had used the same make/model of collets where he learned to make/repair javelins, and they were one reason he so quickly grabbed that little lathe.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Tormach is cute.

All it needs is a, "fix this out of round receiver" modality.

Thank you.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote