New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber good choice for a target rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking to upgrade from the .22 Marlin i got from Western Auto in the 70's. It is okay, but i'm tired of it; that's why it's sitting in the closet gathering dust.

The Marlin would be okay for hunting; i killed some squirrels with it once. I want a better one, though that will be very accurate like an air rifle. My air rifles will shoot holes through holes every time and i want that in a rim fire it it is possible. So far, Kimber is the only one i've heard about that might be good.

Can somebody recommend Kimber or suggest any other good brands? Thanks for any help.

Penny

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Anschutz, Cooper, Remington M40X.

Go to www.benchrest,com and ask on the rimfire forum. I`m sure they`ll steer you right.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would echo Ol"joe's recommendatons. The Cooper is the one of the lot that I long for.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anschutz 2000 series. Bring about $2500.

Oh by the way, get off the bench and learn to be a real rifleman.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Rifelshooter" had an article about high-end rimfire rifles (.22 LR) maybe a year ago?? They very warmly recommended Kimber, Cooper and Anschutz. All were shown capable of very fine accuracy.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anshutz for shooting, maybe Cooper, the rest are just for pretty. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Ultra Light Arms

Chuck

[ 09-23-2003, 17:36: Message edited by: Chuck Nelson ]

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the advice and recommendations. Guess i should have asked it on the Benchrest and target shooting, but didn't see that. But now i have some brands to put into the search engine so that's a good start. Thanks very much for the help.

Plinker603

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, which targer shooting discipline are you thinking about?

Knowing that, I could make more specific recommendations.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion,

I've about narrowed it down to Anschutz 1710D.

Just informal target shooting. I'll just shoot it like my air rifles, try for small groups. I don't know if i can explain this, but i want to be impressed by every shot. I'm an above average shooter, so it'd take more than an above average gun to do that. With the right gun, there's no room for doubt. If you're off, it's you, and the perfect shots leave you in awe. If you shoot a lot then you know how that feels.

Plinker603

one of us
posted Hide Post
The absolutely best value-for-money ratio worldwide in high-end .22s is the Suhl Mod. 150. Don't just believe me - ask the BR-50 guys. They know.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The Kimbers sold by the CMP for $600 are excellent rifles.

For the last year I was match director for fun rimfire matches held once a month at our local club. These matches required 30 shots from the bench...10 at 50 yards at a 1/2" flourescent red dot, 10 at 75 yards at a 3/4 inch similar dot, and 10 at 75 yards at the 1/2" dot.

Because of winds on our range, no perfect score has EVER been posted in these matches, though 28 of 30 was achieved several times. (We make it a little tougher by only allowing 3 sighters per distance, and only one wind flag per shooter regardless of distance.)

Most commonly used rifles in our matches are Winchester Model 52-C bull guns, various Anschutz, a few CMP H&R Models (essentially military versions of the 5200's), and the CMP Kimbers.

At first, before the Kimbers were being delivered regularly, the M 52's won most of the matches. Since the Kimbers became easily available, nothing else has won a match.

The Anschutz rifles never won one of our matches, though different ones of them finished 3rd several times. The H&R Model 5200's finished second several times.

Based on that small population of matches, I would say the Kimbers are pretty fully competitive, though by the time you get a good piece of glass on them, you will have at least $1,000 into the gun. Still the same is true for a really good condition M-52 Winnie, and a good Anschutz will cost more than that just for the gun.

AC

[ 10-07-2003, 04:04: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised I'm the first one to say it, CZ 452 American. An absolute bargain for 350 most places. Shoots bugholes at 25 yards with any ammo, haven't tested it at 50 yet. I use mine for Sporter rifle league which I'm using for winter to keep in tune til april for my safari.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote