New
Find
Notify
Tools

Radom K29 Mauser Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy. I was at the Great Falls gun show today and picked up a nice Mauser sporter stock and an all steel Redfield peep sight for $125. They were attached to a sporterised 8x57 Mauser marked K29 on the left side of the receiver. No pitting to speak of but I believe it had the original barrel still on it . The barrel had been lathe turned to remove the military steps. A rather tall front sight ramp had been silver soldered onto the barrel and a Marbles ivory bead sight was installed onto the ramp. I take it that the K29s were Polish made by Radom. How do these actions compare in design, strength, and craftmanship to the other 98s like the VZ-24? I really only bought the gun for the sight and stock but it would be fun to use it as is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Radom actions have a reputation as being some of the best. Whether your particular action is still any good depends on how far it went into the "sporterizing" process, and perhaps if it was ever arsenal refurbed. Polish rifles came in small ring and large ring 98 flavors, indigenously made or built from German war reparation (WWI) parts. A pic or two might help.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on now. Surely somebody out there must know something about these Polish Mausers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked in the DeHaas book 3rd edition. No imfo

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frontlander,

You have a superb action. If you are going to cannibalise the rifle, you could probably use the action for something in the future. If you don't want it just post pictures of it in the classifieds here and I'm sure someone would buy it from you.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote