New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Handle ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who can I buy Prechtl parts (Bolt handle) from?
Do they have a us dealer?

I looked a NECG sight and didn't see Prechtl listed.

I'm looking for a bolt handle like on their action, it comes strait out and then turns down.

They have a great picture of it in their web sight.golmatic.de hunting rifles and then photo gallery the action in white.

I don't know how to copy and post the pictures or I would.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is basically the same Talley bolt knob that the majority of people use. I think Talley copied the Oberndorf sporter knob, and that looks like what the pictures you linked to has on the bolt. If it is not exactly the same, it is just a few thousandths here or there off.

Anyone capable of welding on a bolt handle can do one that looks just like your link for you. The Talley knobs are less than $10. The knowledge and skill to do a nice bolt job are considereably more!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Allen, if this is the bolt handle you're looking for, you might check with Halfmoon Rifle Shop. Halfmoon makes a large Oberndorf bolt handle that is the best looking knob around as far as I'm concerned.

Jim Baiar
Halfmoon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Rd
Columbia Falls, MT 59912-8919
(406) 892-4409

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Forrest,

Thats the one!

I just spoke to Jim this morning and he's sending some pics of his bolt handles for me to look at.

Dennis Olson will be doing the work.
Do the bolt handles come bent or strait and Dennis welds it on and then bends it?

Jim said he has 5 versions do you know which one would look like the one in the pic ?
Jim said the pics aren't the clearest he's redoing them.

And thanks for posting that picture!

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can weld a Talley on and make it look just like that, and Lord only knows I am not the best bolt handle man out there. If you send that pic to any good gunmaker with a TIG, he should be able to knock it out for you.

The key to getting it just like this one is knowing how long you want the root, and how far out you want the knob from the bolt centerline.

Are you putting this on an "iron sight only" rifle? With that handle, even many extra-high rings will not put the scope high enough to clear the handle. For what ever reason most Americans are infatuated with getting a scope as low as possible (I think it comes from reading too many magazines). THis bolt handle demands a very high scope on the rifle. Personally, I shoot with my head pretty erect and farther back from the scope, so I like more drop in stocks, higher rings, and scopes mounted farther back than most folks on this side of the pond prefer.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Allen, I've only heard this style bolt handle refered to as Halfmoon's "large Oberndorf style". You might get Jim's email address and send him an email with this photo attached.

The Talley knobs are a little thinner through the shank than is the knob in the photo.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a funny litle thing on ther webpage Look for standars kaliber mausers. Then look at that fantastic Redstag, and then think about where they aim at it. It would lead to a bad hit and a hell of trackinghttp://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_DE/jagdwaffen_de/ms_de.htm

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allen, if this is the bolt handle you're looking for, you might check with Halfmoon Rifle Shop. Halfmoon makes a large Oberndorf bolt handle that is the best looking knob around as far as I'm concerned.

ForrestB I am looking for a similar handle to put on a MRC1999 Short Action. Might sound weird, but I have this idea. Do you think this style would be appropriate? I love the looks.

How do you get a hold of the Halfmoon Rifle Shop?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim Baiar
Halfmoon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Rd
(406) 892-4409

My preference is for straight bolt knobs on Mausers. On M70s and M70 clones, like the MRC, either straight or swept look OK to me. If you like the looks of the straight bolt handle, then use it on the MRC - that's why they call it "custom".

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:

quote:
Jim Baiar
Halfmoon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Rd
(406) 892-4409

Forrest B posted this info above, Does it not work?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forest-
do you have your straight bolt handles just like the one pictured? If so, how high are your scope mounts? Did you weld them yourself or have some one else do it? Any idea of the dimensional difference between Talley and "Large Oberndorf?"

I need to order more Gungoddess and will ask for a catalog when I call them. I did not know they made things other than barrels and rust blue solution.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
do you have your straight bolt handles just like the one pictured?

Pretty much like that. Mine may have just a little shorter 90 degree shank coming off the bolt before they turn down.
quote:
If so, how high are your scope mounts?

It's hard for me to say, but generally no higher than normal. The rifles certainly don't have the "head-up" old European look to them.
quote:
Did you weld them yourself or have some one else do it?

Are you kidding? I wouldn't be allowed near a gun with a welder.
quote:
Any idea of the dimensional difference between Talley and "Large Oberndorf?"

I don't know the dimensional differences. The Talleys have more taper to the shank than does the Halfmoon version. The Halfmoon knob is shaped more like a pear than a teardrop.

I know this isn't much in the way of factual data, but hopefully it's worth something to you.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The bolt pictured above is bent from a forging, not welded. That is how it was done back in the day.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forest-
Can you post some pics of rifles with that bolt handle that fit under a scope? I am having trouble getting my arms around it and was wondering if a visual aid would help me. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis welded three Talleys for me, on '09s.

Nothing's finished yet--although I just got the actions back from Pacific Metallurgical, and they look very good--but it appears the bolt handles will fit beneath the scope in low Warne rings.

flaco