Find
Notify
Tools

Acrabond stocks by Serengeti Stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Gents,
I'm interested in on of these stocks for my ZG 47. What can you tell me about these stocks?
I thought that they would be a perfect mix of apperance an utility, or am I missing something?

Henrik

Posts: 81 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henrik, what do you know already, have you visited Serengeti's website??

Serengeti is the follow-up company to AcraBond Stocks by the late Mel Smart. After Mel passed away last year, Rod Rogers (previously of Montana Rifle Company) took over, and eventually bought the rights to the AcraBond process. The new team has been working hard to get the production process streamlined, and to get new patterns developed. The results thus far (I'm sure there is lots to come) can best be seen on the Serengeti Stockworks website. As far as I know, they are busily producing and delivering stocks. The advantage of the process is a more stable stock (lamination) without the regular "plywood" looks associated with laminated stocks.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike,
yes I've visited Serengeti's website and I found it pretty impressive
But I was asking for any firsthand experience. I'm considering on of their blanks for a new project and I wanted to know about real life pros and cons. But after checking their website I must say that I'm tempted on giving their product a try.

Henrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I could not supply exactly what you were after Henrik. Maybe this is of interest - a discussion over on "24 Hour Campfire". Apparently Mr. Howell is a gunwriter of some sort:

Serengeti Discussion on 24 Hour Campfire

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought a blank up there with a lot of figure on one side and another side that did not match. Accrabond cut it into three pieces and the sides match now.

Then they lost my order to make a custom stock and I would have to go thru the order process again with Seringetti.

I just don't have the paitence for custom rifles so I pulled the plug on the project. For me I get more fun out of working on factory rifles myself.

The cost to do that was only about $95 and it was well worth it. They leave a wide piece of wood on the outside so the same figure shows up even when the shape goes in at say the pistol grip.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry called me today, and mine is about ready to ship. It's unfinished but inletted - I believe that all I will have to do is finish sand it and then apply the finish. I will post here when I get it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
im sorry if my reply seemed a bit rude, that was not my intent. All I can say is that english is my third language and I'm not as fluent as I want to be.
Mr Howell is indeed a gun writer, and one I have great respect for. I've read that tread with interest.

Henrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
No offense taken, Henrik. I'm happy if you get the information you were looking for - one way or the other. I was aware I had no first hand experience to quote, but until I answered nobody else had chimed in, and to be honest I did not know exactly what the level of your information about Serengeti was. In any event, with the post on 24-Hour-Campfire, and the guys here chipping in as well, you are probably better off than you were before - or so I hope, anyway
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
the tread on 24 hour campfire were mainly about their rifles or the "ghost kit". What I'm really curious abot is how their stocks really look. Judging by the pictures on their website they seems really nice, it's even hard to actually spot the laminated layers. But then the photografer probably choose the right angles from which to take the pictures So I was curious about if anyone had any handsone experience with these stocks.

Henrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
On that subject, I can actually offer some hands-on experience. The answer is: "it depends". It depends on the blank you choose, and how well it is matched in colour throughout the blank. With a well chosen blank, you can only see the lamination when you look at the stock directly from above or from below. With a blank that is not so "well" chosen, the lamination can become more obvious.

"So what is a man to do", I hear you ask behind gritted teeth... Answer: make sure Rod or Larry is aware of your preference for the lamination to show up as little as possible, and let them help you choose a blank for you with this in mind. They do so many stocks, that they get a feel for what will show up and what will not. They are both really good guys to work with, and if you ask them to help you in this respect, they'll go out of their way to get it right. Also ask them, if there are certain stock styles that lend themselves to "hiding" the lamination more than others (a thicker stock will probably make the lamination less visible from the side).

Btw, the Ghost Kit also has an AcraBond laminated stock, so the 24-Hour-Campsite thread is not totally irrelevant to your quest.
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike,
your reply was exactly what I was looking for

I'm aware that they put acrabond stocks on their "Ghost kit"

But I'm mainly interested in buying a blank from them anyway. I need the new stock for a custom ZG 47 thats going to be either a 338 win or a 9.3x64 (I havn't made up my mind yet) But since I'm going to use blackburns triggerguard and magazinebox I figured that my smith has to do the inletting anyway. And besides I'm not comfortable with the thought of buing a finished stock that I havn't had the opportunity the try my self. I think I want to let my smith do the entire stock (even though I'm not 100% certain since some of their stock designs look pretty nice)..hmmm...Decisions, decisions

Henrik