New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 mag SB to customize
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 44mag Ruger Blackhawk SS 10 1/2in. And I would like to have it customize for hunting. Who would you-all recommend? I have looked at SSK and I like there work but the price, WOW. I know you get what you payfor but, I aint got that kind of money. So who is good.

Thanks

[ 06-12-2003, 19:04: Message edited by: handcanon ]

<JBelk>
posted
handcanon------

If you can't afford SSK then you certainly can't afford the best, Hamilton Bowen.

Who you have do the work depends on what "customize" means to you.

-

This Ruger, re-barrelled, re-chambered, new ejector rod housing, new base pin, rear sights, shortened grip frame, stoned, polished and rust blued with bighorn sheep grips can be duplicated with your gun for about $3500.......IF your gun is straight enough to save.

(all work shown above is by me)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id like to add that... if you install a belt Mt oversized base pin you can eliminate end shake BUT if you gun is not strait to begin with you may not see any increase in accuracy.
There are MANY COMPOUNDING problems with revolvers that cause inaccuracy, not to mention... a multiplier of 5 or 6 for some when you consider bore/chamber/face/throat related issues.
If you are looking for better accuracy... unless you dive into a serious comitment, most revolver work done is futile
Hamilton Bowen is a amazing man... he will fuss over the slightest detail.

[ 06-12-2003, 22:00: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

It's good to see your sixgnun. Very nice work, especially that unique looking rear sight! Did you reweld and recontour the top strap on this sixgun?

Here are two custom sixguns built by David Clements (top one) and Bowen (bottom one). Both sixguns were re-built from the factory items with 5-shot cylinders, new barrels and a bunch of other custom items. Enjoy the pictures! Thanks!

-

[ 06-13-2003, 05:34: Message edited by: Mingbogo ]

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Mingbogo--

Those are mighty tasty handguns.

Hamilton Bowen had me weld the first of the 475s for Ross Seyfried. I learned *how* to do it on his guns, I then did a couple for me. [Smile] [Big Grin]

-  -

It AIN'T EASY!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Very nice and thanks for the close up pictures! When I first saw your picture, I thought that it looks similar to Ross's famous Number 13. I can imagine that it must be very tricky to weld the top strap without causing problems on the frame. Would you do it again and would you do a stainless steel frame? Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack... you shouldnt have posted those pics... now I am going to have to go out and ruin a couple of my guns myself! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote