New
Find
Notify
Tools

reamers
 Login/Join

Picture of Otterbob
posted
Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to buy the more expensive reamer with the, what I think is called, floating pilot, or is the fixed okay?

"Let God or be god".

Posts: 24 | Location: 8000 feet of paradise in New Mexico | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the replaceable bushing piloted reamers because it gives more flexibility in getting a good fit in the bore. Not all bores are created equal when it comes to exact diameter. Just my preference.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Otterbob,
Necessary-No
Desirable-Oh Hell yes. You can achieve a damn near perfect fit of the pilot if you have any kind of selection and with your tailstock aligned perfectly you can't help but cut a quality chamber. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) The surplus .308 groove Parker Hale bull barrels for sale 3 years ago had .2985" bores.

I had to open the bore up to .300", and a floating pilot would have been nicer.

2) Someone wanted a Springfield barrel in 7.62x54R, so I got a floating pilot reamer from Manson.

Other than that, this cheapskate would just buy solid pilot.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Dave Manson’s reamers exclusively, and the difference in cost between solid and removable bushing is all of $30 bucks. Is that allot considering the added advantages you get by being able to change the bushings to fit numerous sized bores? bewildered

Cutting the best chamber possible in that new barrel is not the place to try and save $30 bucks in my view.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i buy floating pilot reamers now. Yes they are only a little more, but you rally need to have a full bushing set for each caliber. These come in .0002 increments and buying sets gets expensive. Yet another reason you have to be crazy to do custom metal work on guns! Anyway, you use the bushings on reamers, range rods, throaters, and chamfering tool. You also get to see which brands of barrels are made to what dimensions.

I have never had a bushing fit snuggly in a DOuglas. Even the largest bushing for the caliber rattles in a DOuglas bore. You can get larger bushings custom ground if you were going to be doing several Douglas barrels in that caliber. That is one reason why I don't use Douglas any longer and use the standard Shilen as my "economy" barrel. The Douglas barrels shot OK, but it really bothered me psychologically. Plus it seemed like the SHilens shot a little better and cleaned easier. THis was just a "seat of the pants" observation and I have no actual side by side measurements.

I don't own a bore scope, so I have this part on second hand information. I have been told that the solid pilot reamers leave marks in the throat areawhere the barrel is rotationg against the fixed reamer. The throat is so key to accuracy, and I believe to fouling. I think a rough throat strips copper and makes a lot of fouluing. Anyway, I have been told the removable bushings really help here.

But you can cut very good chambers with solid pilot reamers.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Otterbob
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, all of the info is very helpful and the last post may have verified an opinion I have had for a while. Good info, thanks!!!!!!!!!

"Let God or be god".

Posts: 24 | Location: 8000 feet of paradise in New Mexico | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me a reamer is a lifetime purchase, I'll never cut enough chambers to wear one out. The difference in price is no issue when I look at it that way, 5 or 10 years from now I won't remember what I paid for a reamer.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote