New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing Timney/Beuhler M98 safetys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a M98 that I'm trying to get a Timney 2 Pos safety to work on--of course I've lost their installation diagram. My question is--I clearly need to remove some metal from the cocking piece to get this to work--isthere a best way to take metal in this area? I neet to manually move the cocking piece back 1/16" or so to allow the safety to engage as is...seems like alot of grinding on the cocking piece to get this to work. Thanks!

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The point of the Buehlers is that you dont have to modify the shroud to get them to work, in most cases.

My opinion - dont install it.
If you are going to have to modify the shroud, then install a Daiton Traister Mark II safety.
It is a one piece forged piece which i trust way more than a 2 piece Buehler held together by a little #2 screw.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Number one point here is use a modified 98 two position side swing safety. I have them for sale by the way. Point two is that the flip up type you want is hard to manipulate with gloves on. Now, to answer your question, I put the cocking piece in the mill and use a carbide end mill to remove as much as is needed.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You both are, of course, correct--a better option would be a 2-3 pos side swing. Jim, how "drop in" are your modified shrouds? I know you trade shrouds with the purchase but do you need the custopmer's cocking piece also? In the "safe" position is the bolt locked? Is there a way with these safeties to mimick the middle position disassembly detent setting as on the original 98 safety/M70 safety? Thanks for taking the time.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are about a 98% drop in. The only problem I have found is the shroud may not screw into the bolt. There are a lot of variations to the 98 mausers. The safety is either on or off, no middle position. If my safety won't work, I'll fit it free.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote